BYU tennis: Jones advances to quarterfinals of ITA Regionals
LAS VEGAS - Freshman Mayci Jones clinched a spot in the quarterfinals in the third day of competition at the USTA/ITA Mountain Region Championships on Friday.
"Mayci had a great couple of matches," BYU head coach Lauren Jones-Spencer said. "We also had our chances in doubles but couldn't capitalize."
Jones beat her competition to advance to the field of eight in singles. Jones first beat Wyoming's Jessica Parizher, 6-2, 6-1. Then, she pulled out the victory in two sets over Julyette Steur of Colorado, 6-3, 6-4.
In other singles action, junior Morgan Anderson fell to Boise State's Teal Vosburgh, 6-3, 6-3.
The doubles team of Anderson and freshman Savannah Ware lost to Wyoming's Veronica Popovici and Dorottya Jonas, 8-5.
BYU continues competition Saturday as Jones looks to take on the No. 2 overall seed for a spot in the semifinals.
McKay Perry is the sports information director for BYU men's and women's tennis. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Doug Robinson: BYU's schedule is a football...
- Dick Harmon: 5 former BYU quarterbacks could...
- Sports BLT: BYU fan gets creative with...
- Preseason viewer’s guide: Clash of the...
- BYU coaches focus on shoring up special teams
- Video chronicles Kyle Collinsworth's recovery...
- Cougars begin prepping for season-opener vs....
- Preseason viewer's guide: Clash of the...
- Doug Robinson: BYU's schedule is a... 121
- Hawaii AD: 'There is a very real... 108
- BYU football: Cougars agree to... 80
- Guest commentary: It’s OK if BYU... 76
- Dick Harmon: Offensive line play will... 46
- BYU AD Tom Holmoe says Cougars should... 46
- Peavler: Final preseason breakdown of... 41
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah players take blame... 26