BYU tennis: Jones advances to quarterfinals of ITA Regionals
LAS VEGAS - Freshman Mayci Jones clinched a spot in the quarterfinals in the third day of competition at the USTA/ITA Mountain Region Championships on Friday.
"Mayci had a great couple of matches," BYU head coach Lauren Jones-Spencer said. "We also had our chances in doubles but couldn't capitalize."
Jones beat her competition to advance to the field of eight in singles. Jones first beat Wyoming's Jessica Parizher, 6-2, 6-1. Then, she pulled out the victory in two sets over Julyette Steur of Colorado, 6-3, 6-4.
In other singles action, junior Morgan Anderson fell to Boise State's Teal Vosburgh, 6-3, 6-3.
The doubles team of Anderson and freshman Savannah Ware lost to Wyoming's Veronica Popovici and Dorottya Jonas, 8-5.
BYU continues competition Saturday as Jones looks to take on the No. 2 overall seed for a spot in the semifinals.
McKay Perry is the sports information director for BYU men's and women's tennis. Contact him at email@example.com
- Ex-Ute gets gift of life with new heart from...
- BYU Cougars happy to have Saturday afternoon...
- No. 21 BYU faces opportunistic, upset-minded...
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with...
- Dick Harmon: Fredette family discusses...
- BYU vs. Virginia primer
- BYU football: 5 questions with a Virginia...
- BYU-Virginia Primer
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 78
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 71
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 62
- Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback Taysom... 54
- If BYU and Utah played on the gridiron... 50
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 50
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 34