BYU tennis: Jones advances to quarterfinals of ITA Regionals
LAS VEGAS - Freshman Mayci Jones clinched a spot in the quarterfinals in the third day of competition at the USTA/ITA Mountain Region Championships on Friday.
"Mayci had a great couple of matches," BYU head coach Lauren Jones-Spencer said. "We also had our chances in doubles but couldn't capitalize."
Jones beat her competition to advance to the field of eight in singles. Jones first beat Wyoming's Jessica Parizher, 6-2, 6-1. Then, she pulled out the victory in two sets over Julyette Steur of Colorado, 6-3, 6-4.
In other singles action, junior Morgan Anderson fell to Boise State's Teal Vosburgh, 6-3, 6-3.
The doubles team of Anderson and freshman Savannah Ware lost to Wyoming's Veronica Popovici and Dorottya Jonas, 8-5.
BYU continues competition Saturday as Jones looks to take on the No. 2 overall seed for a spot in the semifinals.
McKay Perry is the sports information director for BYU men's and women's tennis. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not going...
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl game brawl
- Brady Poppinga: Confronting an unlikely opponent
- These 14 Utahns reminded us why we love...
- BYU's Tyler Haws' recovery from an ankle...
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head coach...
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all brawl...
- BYU closes season with painful loss in Miami...
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 172
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between... 52
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head... 45
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 43
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars... 26
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off... 21