BYU tennis: Jones advances to quarterfinals of ITA Regionals
LAS VEGAS - Freshman Mayci Jones clinched a spot in the quarterfinals in the third day of competition at the USTA/ITA Mountain Region Championships on Friday.
"Mayci had a great couple of matches," BYU head coach Lauren Jones-Spencer said. "We also had our chances in doubles but couldn't capitalize."
Jones beat her competition to advance to the field of eight in singles. Jones first beat Wyoming's Jessica Parizher, 6-2, 6-1. Then, she pulled out the victory in two sets over Julyette Steur of Colorado, 6-3, 6-4.
In other singles action, junior Morgan Anderson fell to Boise State's Teal Vosburgh, 6-3, 6-3.
The doubles team of Anderson and freshman Savannah Ware lost to Wyoming's Veronica Popovici and Dorottya Jonas, 8-5.
BYU continues competition Saturday as Jones looks to take on the No. 2 overall seed for a spot in the semifinals.
McKay Perry is the sports information director for BYU men's and women's tennis. Contact him at email@example.com
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks about...
- Morning links: ESPN takes deep dive into Utah...
- Perseverance pays off for Taele, a big...
- BYU football notebook: Running back position...
- Dick Harmon: Want drama? Storylines galore?...
- Underrated East Carolina will test BYU's defense
- BYU football: This Nephi played a role in...
- BYU football: 5 questions with an East...
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon... 52
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?;... 45
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks... 29
- After win, BYU looking to improve, get... 26
- BYU coaches continue helping players... 22
- Red and blue recruits: Utes reap... 16
- Ansah, Wagner or Weddle: Which local... 14
- BYU's defense, among nation's leaders... 12