BYU tennis: Jones advances to quarterfinals of ITA Regionals
LAS VEGAS - Freshman Mayci Jones clinched a spot in the quarterfinals in the third day of competition at the USTA/ITA Mountain Region Championships on Friday.
"Mayci had a great couple of matches," BYU head coach Lauren Jones-Spencer said. "We also had our chances in doubles but couldn't capitalize."
Jones beat her competition to advance to the field of eight in singles. Jones first beat Wyoming's Jessica Parizher, 6-2, 6-1. Then, she pulled out the victory in two sets over Julyette Steur of Colorado, 6-3, 6-4.
In other singles action, junior Morgan Anderson fell to Boise State's Teal Vosburgh, 6-3, 6-3.
The doubles team of Anderson and freshman Savannah Ware lost to Wyoming's Veronica Popovici and Dorottya Jonas, 8-5.
BYU continues competition Saturday as Jones looks to take on the No. 2 overall seed for a spot in the semifinals.
McKay Perry is the sports information director for BYU men's and women's tennis. Contact him at email@example.com
- Top 25 QB seasons in BYU history, part 2
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise; is BYU...
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says it...
- BYU basketball officially adds transfer guard...
- Former BYU guard Cory Calvert to transfer to UVU
- College football countdown No. 36: BYU...
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'...
- 10 locals, including six BYU players, named...
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 65
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 58
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 57
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 52
- Big 12 watch: BYU's success in football... 40
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 37
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 26
- The Clean Cut: New BYU football video... 15