Clue 6: I decided to retrace my steps from the previous three clues to see if I had missed anything. I came across an entry of a Thomas Rennick who had four children, one named Ann. The entry for Thomas simply said, "Little is known about this family." This was the only Ann that did not have a spouse. Was this the Ann I was looking for? At least I knew that the Rennicks and Faubers were in Lancaster County at the same time.
For the next step, I went back to the Lancaster County area and began to look through the four shelves of books, looking for a Christen and Ann Fauber. I didn't find them. I went home around 4:30 in the afternoon. For an hour and a half, I pondered all of my research that day. I couldn't get rid of the feeling that I needed to return to the library that very day to find information that I knew existed. I arrived at the library at 7:30 p.m., went back to the Lancaster shelves, and looked over the same books I had looked through earlier. As I was getting ready to close the second-to-last book on the fourth shelf, the thought entered my mind to look again. There it was — a child born to Ann and Christian Fauber. I was really excited. I didn't find a record of the wedding, but I found several births for the Fauber family.
For more than 20 years, people have been looking for this family.
- Follow every clue, no matter how insignificant it may seem.
- One clue leads to another clue.
- Clues linked together form a picture.
- Research available resources to find overlooked clues.
- If you only search for surnames, you may miss the clues you need.
- Use spreadsheets to view all available findings.
- Follow thoughts and promptings you receive during research.
Barry J. Ewell is the author of "Family Treasures: 15 Lessons, Tips and Tricks for Discovering your Family History" and founder of MyGenShare.com, an online educational website for genealogy and family history.
- Christmas lights on Temple Square in pictures...
- Mormon missionaries shine shoes, teach the...
- LDS missionaries developing strategies to...
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional tradition
- Mormon-raised Paul Walker remembered for...
- LDS growth in India draws media attention
- Space and religion: How believers view latest...
- Tips for LDS bloggers from the 'ultimate...
- Mormon-raised Paul Walker remembered... 63
- Cardinal Dolan says Catholic church... 38
- Notre Dame sues over health care law's... 31
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged... 29
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say... 25
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional... 23
- Defending the Faith: 'Pleased as man... 20
- LDS missionaries developing strategies... 18