OREM — "The Magical Adventures of Merlin," opening Oct. 14 as a production for young audiences at the SCERA Center for the Arts, is a musical that includes plenty of magic and legendary story.
The show is full of fun, music and magic tricks, said director Jerry Elison.
The composers, Janet Yates Vogt and Mark Freidman, wrote two pieces that have already been brought to the stage by the SCERA: "How I Became a Pirate" and "Rapunzel: A Very Hairy Fairy Tale."
Elison said this production is an enchanting retelling of young King Arthur and the Sword in the Stone legend that ultimately leads to the creation of "Camelot."
Magician Brian South has designed, integrated and taught cast members magic tricks they can perform.
"The show is full of magic, illusions, special effects and sleight-of-hand throughout, and we really needed someone who could help us make it captivating and realistic," Elison said. South volunteered to help.
Justin Stockett plays the role of Merlin. Aaron James is Arthur, with Paige Erickson as Nimur and Tiffany Raines as Morgana.
The three comic sword-wielding knights in the show are played by Zachery Chilcote, Bradley Longmore and Josh Hopkin.
Joel Farnsworth plays the master sorcerer. Denise Gull is the sorcerer’s wife and Tanna Lee plays Guinevere.
The show is one hour long and designed with young children and their attention span in mind, but it works for adults too, Elison said.
"It's the perfect length to keep kids' attention," SCERA President and CEO Adam J. Robertson said. "And the play is well-written, funny and clever enough to keep adults entertained as well."
“In the end, we have a story of understanding, love and thankfulness, tossed with generous doses of fun,” Elison said.
If you go:
What: The Magical Adventures of Merlin
Where: The SCERA Center for the Arts Showhouse, 745 S. State, Orem
When: 7 p.m. Mondays, Fridays; Oct. 14-Nov.
Cost of tickets: Adults $6, children, seniors, students $4, call 801-225-ARTS
Sharon Haddock is a professional writer with more than 35 years' experience, 17 at the Deseret News. Her personal blog is at sharonhaddock.blogspot.com.
- 'The Voice' returns Monday with Pharrell,...
- Photos: Fall colors over Guardsman Pass
- Photos: Elton John brings 'All The Hits' to Utah
- Iranian youth behind 'Happy' video sentenced
- Actress detained by police refuses to apologize
- The latest ‘Godzilla’ reboot...
- ‘Big Bang Theory,’...
- Summer movie season wasn't so bad for 'the...
- Gamers use police hoax to lash out at... 6
- Vikings place Adrian Peterson on exempt... 5
- Iranian youth behind 'Happy' video... 4
- Millennials read more books than their... 3
- The complicated relationship between... 3
- Two big reasons to buy comic books for... 2
- Big screen 'Maze Runner' is a big dream... 2
- Erin Stewart: How to survive your... 1