OREM — "The Magical Adventures of Merlin," opening Oct. 14 as a production for young audiences at the SCERA Center for the Arts, is a musical that includes plenty of magic and legendary story.
The show is full of fun, music and magic tricks, said director Jerry Elison.
The composers, Janet Yates Vogt and Mark Freidman, wrote two pieces that have already been brought to the stage by the SCERA: "How I Became a Pirate" and "Rapunzel: A Very Hairy Fairy Tale."
Elison said this production is an enchanting retelling of young King Arthur and the Sword in the Stone legend that ultimately leads to the creation of "Camelot."
Magician Brian South has designed, integrated and taught cast members magic tricks they can perform.
"The show is full of magic, illusions, special effects and sleight-of-hand throughout, and we really needed someone who could help us make it captivating and realistic," Elison said. South volunteered to help.
Justin Stockett plays the role of Merlin. Aaron James is Arthur, with Paige Erickson as Nimur and Tiffany Raines as Morgana.
The three comic sword-wielding knights in the show are played by Zachery Chilcote, Bradley Longmore and Josh Hopkin.
Joel Farnsworth plays the master sorcerer. Denise Gull is the sorcerer’s wife and Tanna Lee plays Guinevere.
The show is one hour long and designed with young children and their attention span in mind, but it works for adults too, Elison said.
"It's the perfect length to keep kids' attention," SCERA President and CEO Adam J. Robertson said. "And the play is well-written, funny and clever enough to keep adults entertained as well."
“In the end, we have a story of understanding, love and thankfulness, tossed with generous doses of fun,” Elison said.
If you go:
What: The Magical Adventures of Merlin
Where: The SCERA Center for the Arts Showhouse, 745 S. State, Orem
When: 7 p.m. Mondays, Fridays; Oct. 14-Nov.
Cost of tickets: Adults $6, children, seniors, students $4, call 801-225-ARTS
Sharon Haddock is a professional writer with more than 35 years' experience, 17 at the Deseret News. Her personal blog is at sharonhaddock.blogspot.com.
- James Garner was a singular talent with his...
- Man without arms and legs has a message about...
- Donny Osmond releases app to promote upcoming...
- 'Hercules' is a wasted opportunity for The Rock
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Reba McEntire asks...
- Pioneer panorama arrives in the Salt Lake Valley
- 'Arrow' makes Green Arrow less goofy
- Michael Douglas and Diane Keaton can't save...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Reba McEntire... 9
- Man without arms and legs has a message... 4
- Dancing stars Julianne and Derek Hough... 2
- Joseph Cramer, M.D.: You're not in... 2
- Pioneer Day celebrations set throughout... 2
- 'Hercules' is a wasted opportunity for... 2
- Here's how violent, graphic and scary... 1
- 11 cartoon characters who buck stereotypes 1