Five years separate the next youngest sibling, so Kunz lived at home with his parents for four years, developing a close relationship with them.
"He loved my mom. His last email, the last thing he wrote was, 'I love you so much, Mom.' He loved ... his parents and he loved the Savior more than anything."
In early September, the church issued a statement noting that 10 missionaries had died from accident or illness over the course of this year.
"The death of a missionary is felt by every church member in a deep and personal way," Elder David F. Evans, executive director of the church’s Missionary Department, said at that time.
"Data that provide an exact comparison are difficult to identify, but relevant data from the World Health Organization indicate that the annual mortality rate for young people worldwide in this age range is approximately 205 deaths per 100,000 population," Elder Evans said. "For missionaries, that figure is less than 1/20th of that number. Nevertheless, no statistics can lessen the pain of a missionary’s passing."
Church President Thomas S. Monson announced Saturday that the church now has more than 80,000 full-time missionaries serving — up from 58,500 in October 2012.
Historically, missionary deaths have averaged a few per year from accident or illness. Similar numbers of deaths occurred in 2003 and 2008.
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional tradition
- Mormon-raised Paul Walker remembered for...
- Christmas lights on Temple Square in pictures...
- Tips for LDS bloggers from the 'ultimate...
- What's new: 'Women and the Priesthood' by...
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged to Miss...
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say...
- 10 things to do with an LDS account
- Mormon-raised Paul Walker remembered... 63
- Croatians vote against same-sex marriage 50
- Cardinal Dolan says Catholic church... 38
- Court: Mormon church, members not... 34
- Notre Dame sues over health care law's... 31
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged... 28
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say... 25
- Ask Angela: Woman shares update on... 20