High school football: Juan Diego clinches 3AA North Region title with 37-16 win over Stansbury
Charlie Haddon, Haddon Media
STANSBURY PARK — The Stansbury Stallions and No. 1 ranked Juan Diego met on a cold, rainy Thursday night in a game that would most likely determine the region championship.
"This was a huge win for us," said Nelson. "Our offensive line won the game for us tonight. All we had to do was run hard. Our line did it for us."
Jessie Springer found the end zone from two yards out on the Soaring Eagle's first drive, giving them a 7-0 lead.
Stansbury answered with a solid drive, but a couple key penalties pushed the Stallions back, forcing them to punt it away.
Nelson found the end zone for the Soaring Eagle on the ensuing drive, following his blocks and taking it 25 yards for the score, giving Juan Diego a 14-0 advantage with 4:23 left in the first quarter.
The Stallions turned it over on downs on their next possession, but the defense stepped up big.
Landon Stice picked off Nelson's pass, taking it 35 yards to the end zone, cutting the Juan Diego lead to 14-6.
Juan Diego responded on the next drive after Chase Williams scored from 36 yards out, but Stansbury was able to respond again.
Alex Mackay scored from 26 yards out to cut the lead to 20-13, but Stansbury wasn't able to find the end zone for the rest of the night. Mackay finished the game with 13 carries, 120 yards and the lone score.
"We knew what they were gonna do," said Nelson. "We knew their offense like the back of our hand, and everybody just did their jobs."
Williams scored again for the Soaring Eagle on the ensuing drive, extending the lead to 27-13 with just 1:55 left in the half.
"We're all improving every week," said Williams. "We have a great staff, and our offensive line has become a real weapon for us. I'm proud to be running behind them."
Stansbury fumbled on the first play in the ensuing drive, and Juan Diego scored its final touchdown of the half just two plays later.
Nelson ran it in from 22 yards out, giving the Soaring Eagle a 34-13 lead heading into halftime.
Each team was only able to sum up a field goal in the second half, and the Soaring Eagle were able to move to 8-0 on the season, extending their regular season winning streak to 26 games.
Game notes: Stansbury's Connor Littlefield had 21 tackles in the loss, setting a new school record. Stansbury's Alex Mackay ran for 120 yards or more for the third game in a row.
CJ Pronk is a Deseret Digital Media intern and a Stansbury High School graduate. After serving an LDS Mission to the Dominican Republic, CJ will attend Southern Utah University. Follow CJ on Twitter @BigCeeJ3113.
- High school boys basketball: 5A team-by-team...
- 4A boys basketball for 2014-15 season
- Utah high school boys basketball season previews
- High school boys basketball: 3A team-by-team...
- High school boys basketball: 2A team-by-team...
- High school boys basketball: Only 2 defending...
- High school basketball: Tuesday's roundup
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment, commits...
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment,... 48
- High school football: Bingham accepts... 17
- High school football: Defense, big... 16
- High school football: Timpview... 8
- High school boys basketball: Junior... 5
- High school football: American Fork's... 3
- High school football: Dixie defense... 1
- High school boys basketball: 5A... 1