George Henrie, Manti High School
MANTI — Thirty-six years later, Manti is finally king of 2A golf again.
Spurred on by a home-course advantage at Palisades Golf Course and a pair of top five individual finishes by Joe Barton and Kody Quarnberg, the Templars edged Grand to capture the 2A state championship Thursday.
Manti trailed Grand by one stroke after Wednesday’s first round, but followed it up with a 335 on Thursday to finish with a team total of 676, just two shots better than Grand’s 678.
Barton shot a 75 to lead Manti on Day 2, while Quarnberg shot an 84, Davis Hardy an 86 and James Nielson a 90 as the Templars won their first state title since 1977.
Barton’s two-day total of 158 was good enough for third place individually, while Quarnberg finished fourth with a 161.
Layton Christian’s Jaece Stokes ran away with 2A medalist honors, shooting a 2-under 142, well ahead of Gunnison’s Mason Powell, who shot a 150. Stokes and Powell were the only two golfers to shoot in the 70s both rounds.
Stokes’ first-round 70 and second-round 72 led Layton Christian to a third-place finish with a 691. The Eagles captured the 1A state championship last spring. Layton Christian’s Nick Norton shot a 78 on Thursday, one of just five rounds in the 70s on Day 2.
American Leadership’s Hudson Chappell and South Summit’s Weston Wheeler tied for fifth at 162.
Grand enjoyed a one-shot lead after the first day, but despite consistent rounds by Jace Woodard, Tyson Saggboy, Brayden Ward and Chris Taysom, it couldn’t quite hold off Manti. Saggboy and Taysom each shot 84, while Woodard and Ward shot 85.
2A Golf State Championships
At Palisade Golf Course
1. Manti, 676; 2. Grand, 678; 3. Layton Christian, 691; 4. Rowland Hall, 698; 5. Emery, 707; 6. South Summit, 720; 7 (tie). Gunnison, Waterford, 734.
142 — Jaece Stokes, Layton Christian
150 — Mason Powell, Gunnison
158 — Joe Barton, Manti
161 — Kody Quarnberg, Manti
162 — Hudson Chappel, American Leadership
162 — Weston Wheeler, South Summit
163 — Brayden Ward, Grand
163 — Nick Norton, Layton Christian
165 — Quin Wagstaff, Beaver
167 — Garrett Furubayashi, Rowland Hall
167 — Sage Herron, Rowland Hall
- High school boys basketball: TJ Haws' career...
- Duke's Jabari Parker faces tough stay-or-go...
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of 3-pointers,...
- High school boys basketball: Bountiful...
- BYU basketball: Cougars leery of facing...
- High school boys basketball: Lone Peak...
- Tournament central: 5A boys championship live...
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up short...
- Utah basketball: Utes clip Cal in... 83
- High school boys basketball: 5A/4A/1A... 57
- BYU football: Practice fights elicit... 56
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 49
- BYU baseball: BYU beats Utah, 20-3 47
- Doug Robinson: Time to move on for... 43
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of... 29
- CougarLinks: BYU picked to win WCC... 28