Runnin' Utes basketball: Utah will open practice to the public before Saturday's football game
Chad Zavala, Daily Utah Chronicle
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah Utes fans can get a sneak peek at their men's basketball team Saturday morning.
From 11:15 a.m. to 12:15 p.m, the team's practice will be open at the Huntsman Center for the first time this season for fans who'd like to get a look at the squad before the Utah-Stanford football game. The football game starts at 4 p.m.
The Runnin' Utes are finishing up their second week of practice.
"It's going really good," said sophomore Jordan Loveridge.
Because of NCAA rule changes, the men's team is practicing several weeks earlier than in past seasons. Loveridge said he feels like it allows the players to ease into the season.
"I think it helps our bodies," said Loveridge. "You can have a day or two to recover, little things like that help. ... We have a lot more time to go through what coaches expect, what the program expects."
Head coach Larry Krystkowiak said the Utes have had some small injuries that have been dealt with more carefully because of the new rules and schedule.
"I think a change in the format has kind of given us a chance to be wise, rest some of those guys," he said. "This might be a classic example of why the change in the rule helps us. ...When you only have three weeks to pound everything in, maybe those kids don't get to take a day or two off, and then it ends up being a worse injury."
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working to be...
- An early look at the preseason Heisman hopefuls
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- Mendenhall comfortable with BYU's quarterback...
- Recruiting central: Top 25 prep football...
- High school football: Louis Wong, Tony...
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're proud...
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married... 104
- Utah quarterback Travis Wilson cited... 97
- 'It all came together': 30 years later,... 94
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 49
- Playoffs ‘almost... 36
- Former Ute Zane Beadles donates... 27
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face 25
- BYU cornerback Jordan Johnson has... 24