Food Storage Essentials: Storing grains: What about carbs and gluten intolerance?
Celiac disease, an autoimmune illness, triggers a host of serious symptoms when gluten is consumed; it can be diagnosed through medical testing.
People who test negative for celiac disease can be gluten sensitive, a condition that causes bloating and other celiac-like symptoms. It is hotly debated today how many people are genuinely gluten sensitive. A growing number of people conclude they are gluten sensitive after they go off gluten and feel better.
However, this result can simply come from eating less junk food containing gluten. If you suspect you’re gluten sensitive, “give up gluten for two weeks, then reintroduce it and see how you react,” says Trudy Scott, president of the National Association of Nutrition Professionals. "That's a very powerful way to find out if gluten affects you."
People who do have celiac disease or gluten intolerance can store more rice and corn, which can be ground for use in recipes. Gluten-free oatmeal is also available. Gluten-free cookbooks can provide ideas for using these and other gluten-free grains, such as quinoa, millet and buckwheat.
Keep in mind that a sudden change to eating high-fiber foods can initially upset the digestive system. But systems settle down within a few days as they become used to increased fiber. If you are not used to high-fiber foods, add them gradually to your diet.
Including grains, especially whole grains, in food storage is important for energy and good health. Using stored grains in everyday meals makes good nutrition sense. Bodies become accustomed to the fiber in whole grains, and rotating stored grains is simple. Fast and delicious recipes make it easy.
Leslie Probert, a graduate in home economics from Brigham Young University, has been a popular speaker and is co-author of "Emergency Food Storage in a Nutshell, 3rd Edition" with over 400 fast, creative recipes. Email: email@example.com
- Defending the Faith: The Book of Mormon...
- LDS sister missionary from Kaysville killed...
- Sister Linda K. Burton writes about emotional...
- Praying together to stay together? The role...
- How Darwin Day has evolved in the U.S.
- Understanding DNA testing in family history
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir announces virtual...
- David Archuleta says ‘most fulfilling...
- Defending the Faith: The Book of Mormon... 68
- Darwin Day notwithstanding, evolution... 21
- LDS sister missionary from Kaysville... 14
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir announces 7... 8
- Bernie Sanders supported religious... 8
- How Darwin Day has evolved in the U.S. 8
- Evangelical leaders denounce Selective... 6
- ... 4