SALT LAKE CITY — A Mormon missionary from Idaho died Wednesday from injuries he received after coming in contact with a live electrical wire.
Colt Daniel Kunz, 20, from Victor, Idaho, died Wednesday while serving in the church's Mexico Tampico Mission, said Ruth Todd, spokeswoman for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
"Elder Kunz arrived in Mexico less than one month ago. In his short service he had been described as the kind of missionary every mission president wants to receive. Our thoughts and prayers are with Elder Kunz's family, friends and others who mourn his passing," Todd said.
She did not provide details about how the incident occurred.
Burke Kunz said his brother was a great person to be around.
"Colt was an amazing brother and uncle and son," he said. "He loved sports and he loved his family and loved the gospel. He loved being a missionary in the short time that he was a missionary. He just loved it with all his heart."
His parents, Ryan and Ranae Kunz "love him with all their hearts," Burke Kunz said.
Colt Kunz "loved his mom so much" and "his dad was his hero," he said.
Burke Kunz expressed gratitude to the community for the phone calls, emails and visits.
"We've had so many people come and see the family and drop things off," he said. "It’s just amazing how our community has pulled together to help our family at this time."
Monte Woolstenhulme, Teton County School District superintendent, said Colt Kunz was very involved in the school, community and church.
"He was a very outgoing, well respected, energetic young man," he said.
Colt Kunz was involved in cross-country, basketball, track and baseball, Woolstenhulme said.
He said Kunz's father is a Spanish teacher at the high school and the death has had a "deep impact on the high school faculty" and the school. "It’s been difficult with how well-connected Colt and his father and the family are in the school and in the community," he said.
Burke Kunz said his brother was the most excited he'd ever been when he left to serve a mission and loved Mexico for the short time he was there.
"It was very evident that he had a very strong testimony and that the loved his Savior with all his heart," he said. "He knew that that’s where he needed to be."
Kunz is the 11th LDS missionary to die this year, according to the church.
- When Satan steals your motherhood
- Profane, award-winning 'Book of Mormon'...
- Wright Words: Idaho woman learns to...
- Actress Leah Remini criticized after...
- Gay marriage debate is changing how Americans...
- Some LDS missionaries coming home from...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Good friends are...
- LDS Church History Symposium presenter...
- Temple tax: European court rules LDS... 98
- Gay marriage debate is changing how... 70
- Profane, award-winning 'Book of Mormon'... 45
- When Satan steals your motherhood 40
- Family of BYU student hit by car say... 40
- Wright Words: Idaho woman learns to... 35
- Defending the Faith: Where is Mount Sinai? 24
- 'Son of God' is strong on production,... 20