High school football: Pleasant Grove Vikings shut out Westlake Thunder in Region 4 play
PLEASANT GROVE — Pleasant Grove held Westlake to just 103 yards total offense Wednesday night en route to a 17-0 Region 4 victory.
Meanwhile, the Vikings tallied 358 yards total offense (147 rushing yards and 211 passing yards) in snapping their two-game losing streak.
"We were ready to have a good game," Pleasant Grove senior linebacker Josh Marsh said. "Any time you can hold your opponent scoreless, you have something to talk about."
With the win, the Vikings improve 6-2 overall and 2-2 in region play, while Westlake falls to 3-4 overall and 0-4 in league play.
"We've got to win all the games we have left," Pleasant Grove coach Les Hamilton said. "It would be tough to get into the playoffs with three region losses."
Pleasant Grove hosts American Fork Oct. 18 before closing out the season at Herriman the following week.
Wednesday, as the national anthem ended, the rain started and Pleasant Grove kicked off to the Thunder.
After Westlake's offense punted after three plays, Pleasant Grove scored eight plays later when Viking senior running back TJ Wind ran nine yards up the middle to build a lead 7-0 with 7:54 left in the first quarter. That's all the Vikings would need.
"I stayed in the press box to see how I would like it," Hamilton said. "I have a more clear view of my players and I can see the plays as they develop. We need to improve our communication a bit. Our quarterback had some challenges hearing the calls, but we will get the bugs worked out."
On the evening, Wind and kicker Cesar Madrigal teamed up to score all 17 points for the Vikings. Wind rushed for two touchdowns and Madrigal added both PATs as well as a 23-yard field goal.
Wind now has scored 16 touchdowns on the year and Madrigal has tallied 42 points.
Westlake will look for its first region win Oct. 18 when they host Lone Peak.
Kent Allen lives in Pleasant Grove and reports on Pleasant Grove High School Varsity Sports for Deseret Conect.
- Class of 2015: Utah high school athletes with...
- Dick Harmon: Sonny Detmer's bloodline about...
- Amy Donaldson: Former BYU QB Jake Heaps'...
- Tyler Haws to play with Cleveland Cavaliers...
- Jazz not expected to be a major player (or...
- Reports: Jackson Vroman found dead
- Why is William Penn, a Quaker university in...
- Morning links: Fox Sports discusses why OU...
- Peavler: Why we can't stop talking... 60
- Amy Donaldson: Former BYU QB Jake... 46
- Morning links: New BYU commit's late... 31
- Dick Harmon: BYU's retired AD Glen... 25
- Morning links: Fox Sports discusses why... 25
- NBA draft: Utah Jazz select Trey Lyles... 22
- NBA draft: Utes' Delon Wright selected... 17
- Upstill: Does Trey Lyles have what it... 16