Cedar City man arrested for investigation of attempted murder
CEDAR CITY — A man is behind bars after an assault that police say escalated to an attempted murder.
Police arrested 30-year-old Cedar City resident Brandon Thomas Sappington about 8:15 a.m. Wednesday at an apartment complex after they responded to the home, 468 S. 75 West, following reports of an assault in progress.
Sappington had blood on his hand as officers approached, but hid his hand in his pocket, Cedar City Police Sgt. Jimmy Roden said. He refused to show his hand, approaching officers instead and attempting to kick and head-butt them as they tried to detain him.
Nearby, officers located an adult man lying bleeding on the sidewalk, Roden said. The man had sustained serious injuries, including a large laceration on his head.
The man was taken by ambulance to Valley View Medical Center and transported by medical helicopter to University Medical Center in Las Vegas, where he remained Wednesday night in critical condition with severe head injuries.
The man's name was not released pending notification of family.
Sappington was booked into Iron County Jail for investigation of attempted murder, assaulting a police officer, interfering with an arrest, and a misdemeanor traffic warrant.
— McKenzie Romero
- Worth 1,000 words: Here's a look at the top...
- 3 veteran officers preparing sex harassment...
- Sculptor hopes new statue brings comfort to...
- Torn between two countries, family of missing...
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global audience,...
- 'Princess' power: BYU to present stage...
- Conservative group yanks TV ads targeting...
- Photos: Thrill seekers take on stunt-filled 5K
- First prison relocation open house... 39
- Congressional delegation not impressing... 32
- S.L. City Council, mayor seek... 29
- Prosecutors file new charge against... 20
- 3 veteran officers preparing sex... 20
- Utah lawmakers begin task to... 15
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global... 14
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on... 14