Cedar City man arrested for investigation of attempted murder
CEDAR CITY — A man is behind bars after an assault that police say escalated to an attempted murder.
Police arrested 30-year-old Cedar City resident Brandon Thomas Sappington about 8:15 a.m. Wednesday at an apartment complex after they responded to the home, 468 S. 75 West, following reports of an assault in progress.
Sappington had blood on his hand as officers approached, but hid his hand in his pocket, Cedar City Police Sgt. Jimmy Roden said. He refused to show his hand, approaching officers instead and attempting to kick and head-butt them as they tried to detain him.
Nearby, officers located an adult man lying bleeding on the sidewalk, Roden said. The man had sustained serious injuries, including a large laceration on his head.
The man was taken by ambulance to Valley View Medical Center and transported by medical helicopter to University Medical Center in Las Vegas, where he remained Wednesday night in critical condition with severe head injuries.
The man's name was not released pending notification of family.
Sappington was booked into Iron County Jail for investigation of attempted murder, assaulting a police officer, interfering with an arrest, and a misdemeanor traffic warrant.
— McKenzie Romero
- Salt Lake officer captured Dillon Taylor...
- North Ogden woman sent to prison in...
- Fallen hiker had passion for the outdoors,...
- Lunch manager on leave after diabetic student...
- Tips lead police to arrest of public enemy No. 1
- Utah claims top ACT scores for second year
- Provo company creates program that filters...
- West Jordan, Murray residents search for...
- Poll: Utahns willing to fight for... 56
- Vernal man claims police arrested him... 37
- Utah argues for more time to file... 33
- Utah claims top ACT scores for second year 25
- State asks for more time to file appeal... 24
- End of an era: Huntsville bookshop... 22
- Poll: Majority of Utahns in favor of... 22
- Jay Evensen: Is Provo really an... 22