CEDAR CITY — A man is behind bars after an assault that police say escalated to an attempted murder.
Police arrested 30-year-old Cedar City resident Brandon Thomas Sappington about 8:15 a.m. Wednesday at an apartment complex after they responded to the home, 468 S. 75 West, following reports of an assault in progress.
Sappington had blood on his hand as officers approached, but hid his hand in his pocket, Cedar City Police Sgt. Jimmy Roden said. He refused to show his hand, approaching officers instead and attempting to kick and head-butt them as they tried to detain him.
Nearby, officers located an adult man lying bleeding on the sidewalk, Roden said. The man had sustained serious injuries, including a large laceration on his head.
The man was taken by ambulance to Valley View Medical Center and transported by medical helicopter to University Medical Center in Las Vegas, where he remained Wednesday night in critical condition with severe head injuries.
The man's name was not released pending notification of family.
Sappington was booked into Iron County Jail for investigation of attempted murder, assaulting a police officer, interfering with an arrest, and a misdemeanor traffic warrant.
— McKenzie Romero
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration
- Husband says he didn't know about wife's...
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on continued...
- Doug Robinson: The first kiss and the long...
- Graphic video shows 7 shots fired without...
- Utah cyclist dies Sunday at the age of 23
- 7 dead babies found in Pleasant Grove garage;...
- Southern Utah left wanting for water
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration 95
- 7 dead babies found in Pleasant Grove... 74
- Utah attorney general encourages... 57
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 36
- Will Josh Powell's family argue he... 28
- Doug Robinson: The first kiss and the... 24
- Mom accused of killing 6 newborns held... 24
- Moab's dilemma: Can recreation coexist... 23