CEDAR CITY — A man is behind bars after an assault that police say escalated to an attempted murder.
Police arrested 30-year-old Cedar City resident Brandon Thomas Sappington about 8:15 a.m. Wednesday at an apartment complex after they responded to the home, 468 S. 75 West, following reports of an assault in progress.
Sappington had blood on his hand as officers approached, but hid his hand in his pocket, Cedar City Police Sgt. Jimmy Roden said. He refused to show his hand, approaching officers instead and attempting to kick and head-butt them as they tried to detain him.
Nearby, officers located an adult man lying bleeding on the sidewalk, Roden said. The man had sustained serious injuries, including a large laceration on his head.
The man was taken by ambulance to Valley View Medical Center and transported by medical helicopter to University Medical Center in Las Vegas, where he remained Wednesday night in critical condition with severe head injuries.
The man's name was not released pending notification of family.
Sappington was booked into Iron County Jail for investigation of attempted murder, assaulting a police officer, interfering with an arrest, and a misdemeanor traffic warrant.
— McKenzie Romero
- Lost recording of an interview with 1867...
- Boulder slams into Rockville home, killing two
- Charges filed against 'fixer' in ongoing...
- National Weather Service radar mistakes swans...
- Passerby was mistakenly used as translator in...
- Utah husband wins 'Most Memorable Moment'...
- Many Mormon missionaries who return home...
- Man accused in wife's death loved her, 'had...
- Pay increase for Gov. Herbert, other... 67
- Legal analysis supports Utah's law on... 37
- Do Utah high school students need four... 30
- Supervolcano hidden in plain sight in... 20
- Young adults are faced with risky... 16
- Charges filed against 'fixer' in... 15
- Rare snowstorm traps I-15 motorists... 14
- John Swallow lost computer hard drive... 12