Cedar City man arrested for investigation of attempted murder
CEDAR CITY — A man is behind bars after an assault that police say escalated to an attempted murder.
Police arrested 30-year-old Cedar City resident Brandon Thomas Sappington about 8:15 a.m. Wednesday at an apartment complex after they responded to the home, 468 S. 75 West, following reports of an assault in progress.
Sappington had blood on his hand as officers approached, but hid his hand in his pocket, Cedar City Police Sgt. Jimmy Roden said. He refused to show his hand, approaching officers instead and attempting to kick and head-butt them as they tried to detain him.
Nearby, officers located an adult man lying bleeding on the sidewalk, Roden said. The man had sustained serious injuries, including a large laceration on his head.
The man was taken by ambulance to Valley View Medical Center and transported by medical helicopter to University Medical Center in Las Vegas, where he remained Wednesday night in critical condition with severe head injuries.
The man's name was not released pending notification of family.
Sappington was booked into Iron County Jail for investigation of attempted murder, assaulting a police officer, interfering with an arrest, and a misdemeanor traffic warrant.
— McKenzie Romero
- Utah's first family of rodeo: Riding buckin'...
- Tanker crash sends oil into Provo River as...
- Olene Walker, "one of Utah's finest public...
- Icy roads blamed for Cedar City car crash...
- Hillary's grace: Watching her daughter...
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving preparing...
- Students hope to invent windows of the future
- Local cowboys: A new foursome for the...
- Ogden woman sues trooper, alleging he... 36
- Olene Walker, "one of Utah's finest... 15
- Man steals woman's boarding pass,... 13
- The new Thanksgiving tradition: A quick... 11
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving... 10
- Utah liquor consumption is up, but... 8
- Men and women: Understanding the wage... 7
- Recruiting crisis? UHP, other agencies... 6