Cedar City man arrested for investigation of attempted murder
CEDAR CITY — A man is behind bars after an assault that police say escalated to an attempted murder.
Police arrested 30-year-old Cedar City resident Brandon Thomas Sappington about 8:15 a.m. Wednesday at an apartment complex after they responded to the home, 468 S. 75 West, following reports of an assault in progress.
Sappington had blood on his hand as officers approached, but hid his hand in his pocket, Cedar City Police Sgt. Jimmy Roden said. He refused to show his hand, approaching officers instead and attempting to kick and head-butt them as they tried to detain him.
Nearby, officers located an adult man lying bleeding on the sidewalk, Roden said. The man had sustained serious injuries, including a large laceration on his head.
The man was taken by ambulance to Valley View Medical Center and transported by medical helicopter to University Medical Center in Las Vegas, where he remained Wednesday night in critical condition with severe head injuries.
The man's name was not released pending notification of family.
Sappington was booked into Iron County Jail for investigation of attempted murder, assaulting a police officer, interfering with an arrest, and a misdemeanor traffic warrant.
— McKenzie Romero
- Living on the edge: North Salt Lake residents...
- One man dead after attempted carjacking in Orem
- Women innovators leading by example
- LDS artist J. Kirk Richards says leaps of...
- Pleasant Grove homeowner shoot, kills man in...
- Who should pay? City, developer, residents at...
- Hiker pulled from Bell Canyon after fall
- Lutheran, LDS leaders forge common ground...
- One man dead after attempted carjacking... 34
- Herbert, legislative leaders starting... 29
- Mitt Romney tells UVU grads to 'live a... 22
- Poll: Majority of Salt Lake City... 15
- Governor, legislators leave 'baggage'... 13
- Jury convicts San Juan County... 11
- Attorney: Woman on trial in deputy's... 10
- LDS artist J. Kirk Richards says leaps... 9