Cedar City man arrested for investigation of attempted murder
CEDAR CITY — A man is behind bars after an assault that police say escalated to an attempted murder.
Police arrested 30-year-old Cedar City resident Brandon Thomas Sappington about 8:15 a.m. Wednesday at an apartment complex after they responded to the home, 468 S. 75 West, following reports of an assault in progress.
Sappington had blood on his hand as officers approached, but hid his hand in his pocket, Cedar City Police Sgt. Jimmy Roden said. He refused to show his hand, approaching officers instead and attempting to kick and head-butt them as they tried to detain him.
Nearby, officers located an adult man lying bleeding on the sidewalk, Roden said. The man had sustained serious injuries, including a large laceration on his head.
The man was taken by ambulance to Valley View Medical Center and transported by medical helicopter to University Medical Center in Las Vegas, where he remained Wednesday night in critical condition with severe head injuries.
The man's name was not released pending notification of family.
Sappington was booked into Iron County Jail for investigation of attempted murder, assaulting a police officer, interfering with an arrest, and a misdemeanor traffic warrant.
— McKenzie Romero
- Lehi toddler killed in accident remembered as...
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- A river runs dry: Water and the future of...
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more in wake...
- Employee error ruins 41 acres of Salt Lake...
- Boy, 3, killed in Lehi scooter accident
- Photo gallery: Holi festival immerses Utahns...
- American Fork cyclist killed during training...
- BYU student claims he was evicted after... 50
- Sen. Harry Reid's retirement recalls... 36
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more... 36
- Meetings to resolve Medicaid expansion... 29
- Critics worry firing squad law will... 28
- Tea party movement still strong,... 23
- Firing squad's return in Utah may... 14
- A river runs dry: Water and the future... 13