Police investigating possible abduction attempt of 12-year-old girl
SOUTH SALT LAKE — Police combed a neighborhood Wednesday night investigating a possible abduction attempt after a 12-year-old girl said a man grabbed her and tried to pull her away with him.
The girl was walking near 2800 South and 500 East about 6:30 p.m. when a man walked up to her and grabbed her arms and tried to pull her toward him, South Salt Lake Police Sgt. Gary Keller said.
"The young girl runs out of her shoes, leaving her shoes behind at the point where he made contact with her, and runs south on 500 East," Keller said.
The girl spotted a police vehicle about two blocks away on Welby Avenue and got the officer's attention, beginning an immediate search for the man.
Police from multiple agencies set up containment, and officers with dogs returned to the spot where the girl said she encountered the stranger, marked by her shoes, and attempted to establish a scent trail, Keller said.
The girl remained with police to try to provide more information about the man.
The man is described as being of medium build and average height with shoulder-length hair. He was last seen on foot wearing jeans and dark jacket.
— McKenzie Romero
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns Utahns of...
- Man stole ring, woman swallowed it, police say
- World-renowned rock art in Utah is younger...
- No timeline announced yet for Cottonwood Mall...
- Circleville farmers scratching their heads...
- Doug Robinson: The Birdman of Utah
- Part police cruiser, part taxi,...
- About Utah: A Salt Lake hit for 152 years ......
- Attorney general deciding whether to... 41
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh... 39
- Newborn found in trash can brings call... 34
- Becky Lockhart serious about... 31
- Parents say daughter didn't understand... 22
- Gay rights activists to fight charges... 22
- Police reviewing possible nightclub... 16
- Winning plaintiffs in 3 states want... 14