Police investigating possible abduction attempt of 12-year-old girl
SOUTH SALT LAKE — Police combed a neighborhood Wednesday night investigating a possible abduction attempt after a 12-year-old girl said a man grabbed her and tried to pull her away with him.
The girl was walking near 2800 South and 500 East about 6:30 p.m. when a man walked up to her and grabbed her arms and tried to pull her toward him, South Salt Lake Police Sgt. Gary Keller said.
"The young girl runs out of her shoes, leaving her shoes behind at the point where he made contact with her, and runs south on 500 East," Keller said.
The girl spotted a police vehicle about two blocks away on Welby Avenue and got the officer's attention, beginning an immediate search for the man.
Police from multiple agencies set up containment, and officers with dogs returned to the spot where the girl said she encountered the stranger, marked by her shoes, and attempted to establish a scent trail, Keller said.
The girl remained with police to try to provide more information about the man.
The man is described as being of medium build and average height with shoulder-length hair. He was last seen on foot wearing jeans and dark jacket.
— McKenzie Romero
- Searchers locate missing family of Olympian...
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via online...
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake...
- Healing souls, healing a mountain
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley detective...
- Man seeks video of 1995 Oklahoma City...
- Draper man dies from injuries in house explosion
- Salt Lake bike share program doubles in size
- Federal land managers criticized over... 24
- Renewable energy advocates decry... 19
- Habitual offender arrested in alleged... 16
- Student attitudes changing on healthy... 14
- 'No trespassing' sign may not stop... 13
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake... 11
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via... 10
- Satellites track drought-driven... 9