High school boys golf: 5-time defending champ Park City holds slim lead at 3A tournament
SALT LAKE CITY — In each of the past five years, the Park City boys golf team has found ways to win the 3A state championship — sometimes by double-digit strokes and sometimes by as little as one stroke.
It’s no cakewalk this year for the Miners, who have their work cut out for them as they head into the second round of the 3A tourney with a slim lead over two St. George high schools.
Led by Mitchell Schow’s 69, the Miners shot a team score of 302 Wednesday and lead Desert Hills by one stroke and Dixie by four strokes going into Thursday’s final 18 holes at Mountain Dell Golf Course.
“We got off to a rough start and had some jitters, but were able to keep it together,’’ said Park City coach George Murphy. He was especially happy with Schow, who finished fifth overall a year ago.
“He played really well,’’ said Murphy. “He’s led us all year and we needed that 69 to stay one up.’’
Besides Schow’s 69, the Miners counted a 76 by Drew Fleming, a 77 by Jalen Roberts and an 80 by TJ Mayo. Desert Hills was more balanced with five scores in the 70s. Taylor Cummings led the way with a 73, while Brad Wade shot a 76, Blake Amick and Quincy Mathews each had 77s and Jordan Olsen a non-counting 78.
Unlike Park City, Desert Hills went out strong but didn’t play well down the stretch.
“We started out well, but didn’t finish very well,’’ said Desert Hills coach Ron Denos. “You can’t win it the first day, but you can lose it. We gave ourselves a chance and put ourselves in position for tomorrow.’’
Dixie was led by Nicklaus Britt, whose 70 was the only under-par score on the day besides Schow’s. Taylor Yardley’s 73 is tied for third overall and the Flyers’ other two scores were an 81 by Cameron Hamill and an 82 by AJ Orchard.
Behind the three title contenders, Snow Canyon is fourth at 319; Uintah is fifth at 322; and Stansbury and Juan Diego are tied for sixth at 324.
Other top individual scores Wednesday included a 74 by Juab’s Dalton Jackson, a 75 by Bear River's Bridger Layton, and 76s by Juan Diego’s Ryan Lowe and Canyon View’s Jared Kerber.
3A Golf Tournament
Mountain Dell Golf Course (Lake)
1. Park City 302; 2. Deseret Hills 303; 3. Dixie 306; 4. Snow Canyon 319; 5. Uintah 322; T-6. Stansbury, Juan Diego 324; 8. Union 330; 9. Bear River 330; 10. Tooele 338.
69 — Mitchell Schow, Park City
70 — Nicklaus Britt, Dixie
73 — Taylor Cummings, Desert Hills; Taylor Yardley, Dixie
74 — Dalton Jackson, Juab
75 — Bridger Layton, Bear River
76 — Drew Fleming, Park City; Brad Wade, Desert Hills; Ryan Lowe, Juan Diego; Jared Kerber, Canyon View
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes coming...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz continue slide with overtime...
- BYU basketball: Hot-shooting UMass fires its...
- Utah State football: Aggie defense plays...
- Toddler basketball star, 'Trick-Shot-Titus,'...
- Real Salt Lake: RSL's quest to win MLS Cup...
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce back to...
- BYU basketball report card: Cougars give...
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 101
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much... 60
- Commentary: Long-term success in... 50
- BYU basketball: 3 players record... 47
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 30
- BYU vs. No. 21 UMass live blog:... 27
- BYU basketball: Breaking down UMass,... 27
- Cougars in the pros: Austin Collie... 27