SALT LAKE CITY — The Utah Jazz don't have a lot of elbow room at practice, but coach Tyrone Corbin isn’t ready to trim the 20-man roster just yet.
Asked if initial cuts were coming soon, Corbin quickly pointed out that only 18 players are available. Marvin Williams (Achilles' heel) and Brandon Rush (knee) are recovering from surgeries.
The Jazz must whittle down the camp roster to a maximum of 15 players before the 2013-14 regular season begins at home against Oklahoma City on Oct. 30. Currently, Utah has 13 players with guaranteed contracts.
"We’ll look at it and see, don’t know when right now. We still have some guys banged up," Corbin said. "We still need to get a good look at the guys, give guys a chance to show what they can do in games. The guys are working hard."
Three players didn't see time Tuesday: veteran Brian Cook, late camp addition Lester Hudson and Dwayne Jones.
POINT MADE: Scott Machado played 3 1/2 minutes Tuesday, but that doesn’t mean the former Iona star has secured the third point guard position over Hudson.
“We just went with Scott first,” Corbin said. “Lester’s been working extremely hard for us. He’ll get an opportunity to play.”
POWER PLAY: Power forward Dominic McGuire, an NBA journeyman who's played for seven teams in six years, saw more action than any of the guys in camp with nonguaranteed contracts. He had four points and four rebounds in 17 minutes.
“He’s a great communicator on the defensive end. He’s a physical presence out there. He tries to play right,” Corbin said. “Offensively, he runs the floor hard. He’s done a great job.”
- Utah Jazz: Plan's playing out, but plenty of...
- BYU men's volleyball: Cougars trounce the...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's loading up with one-year...
- Jim McMahon closing in on graduating from...
- Utah football: Ute offense shines in...
- Salt Lake City Marathon comes with many...
- Is Tyrone Corbin gone? Utah Jazz, coach's...
- No stranger to struggle: Cottonwood's Cooper...
- Jeff Benedict: Jabari Parker announces... 62
- Brad Rock: Utes nickname won't stay... 58
- Jim McMahon closing in on graduating... 56
- BYU Football: Harvey Jackson bolsters... 24
- Dick Harmon: BYU's loading up with... 18
- Brad Rock: Jazz: Sign Gordon Hayward to... 17
- Utah Jazz: Plan's playing out, but... 17
- Utah Jazz: Trey Burke scores career... 15