It won’t be easy to think of the Washington Redskins by any other name; imagine calling the Yankees by another name. The Redskins — should we call them the R-Word? — are an 81-year-old franchise with a rich tradition. Some of the game’s legendary players wore their uniforms — Sammy Baugh, Charley Taylor, Joe Theisman, John Riggins, Chris Hanburger, Sam Huff, Sonny Jergensen, Don Shula, Bobby Mitchell, Russ Grimm. The team has won five NFL championships and 13 divisional titles and appeared in the Super Bowl five times, winning three of them.
But change is in the air for the old Redskins. As Mike Wise of the Washington Post wrote this week, “Even if he remains in Washington for his entire NFL career, (current quarterback) Robert Griffin III is not going to retire an R-word.”
The NFL and the ‘Skins just have to decide how long they want to resist the inevitable.
Doug Robinson's columns run on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- BYU fan reflects: 6 lessons I learned at...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- NFL watch: How local players fared in week 14...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 104
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 98
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 81
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 68
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 50
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 48
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43