Las Cruces, N.M. — Sophomore Lea Garner led BYU to a 12th-place finish after three days of Price's "Give 'Em Five" Intercollegiate on Wednesday.
"I thought there were a lot of positives," BYU women's golf head coach Carrie Roberts said. "We played really well in the beginning, some of our best golf of the year, and we put a decent round together."
BYU remained in 12th place after the final round of the 14-team tournament with a total score of 907 (+43). The Cougars finished ahead of University of Texas at El Paso (+57) by 14 strokes and Utah Valley University (+67) by 24 strokes. Portland took the first-place finish at 3-over-par followed by University of California, Irvine at 8-over-par.
Garner moved up in the ranks to tie in 22nd place after hitting a 73 in the third round and completing the tournament at 7-over-par. She also added four birdies to finish the final round.
Freshman Brooklyn Anderson finished in 26th place at 8-over-par, completing a final round score of 73, as well. Anderson ended the round strong with three birdies in the last four holes.
"I'm very proud of both [Lea and Brooklyn]," Roberts said. "This was Brooklyn's first tournament playing in the top five and she did a good job. Lea was solid again and did a good job."
Annika Kahaialii tied in 37th place at 10-over-par to go along with three birdies in the final round. Selu Fotu finished tied in 62nd place at 19-over-par, while Carly Oldroyd finished in 75th place at 30-over-par.
The Cougars will head to Leilehua Golf Course in Wahiawa, Hawaii, on Oct. 29-31, for the Rainbow Wahine Invitational. Follow live stats on Golfstat's website.
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon features BYU,...
- BYU freshman Michael Shelton making a home...
- Ansah, Wagner or Weddle: Which local had the...
- BYU coaches continue helping players...
- BYU's defense, among nation's leaders in...
- What you may have missed: UConn fan's pleas...
- BYU football notebook: Cougar offense hopes...
- Locals roundup for week 4 of the NFL season
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?;... 45
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon... 43
- After win, BYU looking to improve, get... 26
- BYU overcomes mistakes, downs UConn,... 23
- Dick Harmon: Mangum uses chunk yardage... 22
- BYU coaches continue helping players... 16
- Ansah, Wagner or Weddle: Which local... 13
- In critical situations, BYU offense,... 12