Las Cruces, N.M. — Sophomore Lea Garner led BYU to a 12th-place finish after three days of Price's "Give 'Em Five" Intercollegiate on Wednesday.
"I thought there were a lot of positives," BYU women's golf head coach Carrie Roberts said. "We played really well in the beginning, some of our best golf of the year, and we put a decent round together."
BYU remained in 12th place after the final round of the 14-team tournament with a total score of 907 (+43). The Cougars finished ahead of University of Texas at El Paso (+57) by 14 strokes and Utah Valley University (+67) by 24 strokes. Portland took the first-place finish at 3-over-par followed by University of California, Irvine at 8-over-par.
Garner moved up in the ranks to tie in 22nd place after hitting a 73 in the third round and completing the tournament at 7-over-par. She also added four birdies to finish the final round.
Freshman Brooklyn Anderson finished in 26th place at 8-over-par, completing a final round score of 73, as well. Anderson ended the round strong with three birdies in the last four holes.
"I'm very proud of both [Lea and Brooklyn]," Roberts said. "This was Brooklyn's first tournament playing in the top five and she did a good job. Lea was solid again and did a good job."
Annika Kahaialii tied in 37th place at 10-over-par to go along with three birdies in the final round. Selu Fotu finished tied in 62nd place at 19-over-par, while Carly Oldroyd finished in 75th place at 30-over-par.
The Cougars will head to Leilehua Golf Course in Wahiawa, Hawaii, on Oct. 29-31, for the Rainbow Wahine Invitational. Follow live stats on Golfstat's website.
- Ex-Ute gets gift of life with new heart from...
- BYU Cougars happy to have Saturday afternoon...
- No. 21 BYU faces opportunistic, upset-minded...
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with...
- Dick Harmon: Fredette family discusses...
- BYU vs. Virginia primer
- BYU-Virginia Primer
- BYU football: 5 questions with a Virginia...
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 78
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 71
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 62
- Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback Taysom... 54
- If BYU and Utah played on the gridiron... 50
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 50
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 34