U of U Vimeo video: Watch all 18 sacks this season for Utah, tied for third nationally with 3.6 sacks per game
University of Utah defenders are getting to the opposing quarterback at a consistent pace this season, totaling 18 sacks through the first five games in 2013.
The Utes' highest sack game came in the second week against Weber State, when Utah tallied seven for a loss of 38 yards.
In the Utes' past two games, the defense has been particularly impressive against a pair of high-profile opponents. On Sept. 21 against rival BYU, Utah had its second-highest sack total of the year, with five for a total of 28 yards.
Against No. 12 UCLA last week, the Utes averaged nine yards lost on three sacks.
All totaled, the 18 sacks have netted a loss of 113 yards for the opposition.
It's not just one player that is getting to the quarterback for Utah, either. Fourteen different Utah defenders have been credited with at least half a sack this season; leading the way is junior linebacker Jacoby Hale, who has three sacks.
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70
- 20 questions: How well do you know Tyler...
- Utes come up short in Pac-12 battle with Arizona
- Skyler Halford helps key BYU's late-season...
- Layton steps up big late to secure a 48-46...
- 16 Mormon pop culture moments from 2014-15
- High school boys basketball: Pine View wins...
- High school boys basketball: Manti stuns...
- Peavler: BYU and Utah would both be... 92
- Holmoe talks about bowl brawl... 84
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70 79
- Dick Harmon: Holmoe's outward interest... 63
- Utes bounce back, blast Sun Devils 50
- Utes come up short in Pac-12 battle... 50
- Morning links: Utah coaching job... 30
- Morning links: Examining BYU's at-large... 29