U of U Vimeo video: Watch all 18 sacks this season for Utah, tied for third nationally with 3.6 sacks per game
University of Utah defenders are getting to the opposing quarterback at a consistent pace this season, totaling 18 sacks through the first five games in 2013.
The Utes' highest sack game came in the second week against Weber State, when Utah tallied seven for a loss of 38 yards.
In the Utes' past two games, the defense has been particularly impressive against a pair of high-profile opponents. On Sept. 21 against rival BYU, Utah had its second-highest sack total of the year, with five for a total of 28 yards.
Against No. 12 UCLA last week, the Utes averaged nine yards lost on three sacks.
All totaled, the 18 sacks have netted a loss of 113 yards for the opposition.
It's not just one player that is getting to the quarterback for Utah, either. Fourteen different Utah defenders have been credited with at least half a sack this season; leading the way is junior linebacker Jacoby Hale, who has three sacks.
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- Saturday morning quarterback: 3 stars and...
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 55
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48