U of U Vimeo video: Watch all 18 sacks this season for Utah, tied for third nationally with 3.6 sacks per game
University of Utah defenders are getting to the opposing quarterback at a consistent pace this season, totaling 18 sacks through the first five games in 2013.
The Utes' highest sack game came in the second week against Weber State, when Utah tallied seven for a loss of 38 yards.
In the Utes' past two games, the defense has been particularly impressive against a pair of high-profile opponents. On Sept. 21 against rival BYU, Utah had its second-highest sack total of the year, with five for a total of 28 yards.
Against No. 12 UCLA last week, the Utes averaged nine yards lost on three sacks.
All totaled, the 18 sacks have netted a loss of 113 yards for the opposition.
It's not just one player that is getting to the quarterback for Utah, either. Fourteen different Utah defenders have been credited with at least half a sack this season; leading the way is junior linebacker Jacoby Hale, who has three sacks.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 105
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 91
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 76
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 50
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 49
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 36