On Oct. 7, members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints hosted an open house for a new meetinghouse in South Jordan, Utah. The building is unique (but not alone) in that it features an outdoor courtyard in addition to the usual classrooms, cultural hall and chapel.
“There are people of various faiths in the neighborhood beside LDS, so we wanted them to feel like this is a place where they can come and be part of things as well, and be included in this new building and new chapel that’s part of their neighborhood,” said Bishop Mike McKay of the Daybreak 6th Ward, South Jordan Utah Daybreak Stake. “Everyone has watched the building go up, so there’s been a lot of curiosity about it. We wanted to give a chance for everyone to come and take a walk through, recognizing that a lot of people still have probably never been in an LDS Church building, even though they live in a very Mormon state.”
Members of the wards of various ages contributed to the open house. Primary children drew pictures depicting what believing in Christ means, young men/young women created posters explaining who they are and what their faith means to them, and one room was used to temporarily display art pieces of Christ that members brought from their own homes.
“As I go through and talk to the members, they love it. They love what they’re seeing, and I think part of that’s the newness, and if they’re in here for a few months maybe that’ll change, but I don’t think it will,” said President John McCorquindale, president of the South Jordan Utah Daybreak Stake. “I think the uniqueness of it is nice, and they love the courtyard.”
Bishop McKay looks forward to the building’s use as a gathering place.
“We’re excited about it. We love having a church building in our neighborhood, and I think it’s a great opportunity for us to really build a place where neighbors and people of all different faiths feel like they can own part of it and be part of what we have to offer here.”
- 35 memorable photos from the LDS Church News...
- LDS temples grow ever closer to members
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- LDS priesthood restoration site, new movie,...
- Elder Holland, David Archuleta promote 'Meet...
- Carrie Underwood shares her Christian faith...
- 2 LDS teens create video to share Mormon beliefs
- 1964 World's Fair pavilion had far-reaching...
- Republicans rallying behind religious... 32
- FamilySearch provides LDS members with... 18
- LDS Church leaders share excitement for... 14
- LDS temples grow ever closer to members 10
- Elder Holland, David Archuleta promote... 6
- Religious leaders agree ISIS must be... 6
- 1964 World's Fair pavilion had... 5
- LDS priesthood restoration site, new... 5