SOUTH SALT LAKE — Investigators say they have more questions than answers about a fatal house fire that occurred Monday.
About 7 p.m., a woman called to report that her boyfriend needed medical assistance. When emergency crews arrived at the house, 362 E. Utopia Ave., they found smoke and a small fire in a basement bedroom.
In another room in the basement, they found the body of 37-year-old Andrew K. Davis.
Detectives hope to learn more about the cause of death after an autopsy is completed. The initial indication was the man may have died from smoke inhalation, said South Salt Lake police detective Gary Keller.
But what investigators still did not know Wednesday was how the fire started.
If it's determined that the fire started under suspicious circumstances or that someone else started the fire, it "opens the door to more investigation," Keller said.
The blaze was contained to one bedroom and caused about $5,000 damage. But officials say it had the potential to do more damage.
— Pat Reavy
- Was Saratoga Springs man killed while lunging...
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving door...
- Deputies fish out 4 cars from Pineview Reservoir
- Chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia sufferers...
- 'They killed my son because he's black,'...
- 2 girls abducted in Bountiful escape in...
- Utah State Prison inmate dies following fight
- 'People don't talk about it,' recovering...
- 'They killed my son because he's... 76
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving... 57
- Utah makes final plea for Supreme Court... 53
- Taylorsville teacher injured after her... 47
- Was Saratoga Springs man killed while... 41
- Do guns belong in the hands of... 39
- Grand America to pay $2M fine for... 24
- Vail Resorts buys Park City Mountain... 16