SOUTH SALT LAKE — Investigators say they have more questions than answers about a fatal house fire that occurred Monday.
About 7 p.m., a woman called to report that her boyfriend needed medical assistance. When emergency crews arrived at the house, 362 E. Utopia Ave., they found smoke and a small fire in a basement bedroom.
In another room in the basement, they found the body of 37-year-old Andrew K. Davis.
Detectives hope to learn more about the cause of death after an autopsy is completed. The initial indication was the man may have died from smoke inhalation, said South Salt Lake police detective Gary Keller.
But what investigators still did not know Wednesday was how the fire started.
If it's determined that the fire started under suspicious circumstances or that someone else started the fire, it "opens the door to more investigation," Keller said.
The blaze was contained to one bedroom and caused about $5,000 damage. But officials say it had the potential to do more damage.
— Pat Reavy
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge for...
- U. doctor thanks strangers who saved him,...
- About Utah: For 95-year-old, the secret to...
- Father of slain woman said he lived his life...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to same-sex...
- Preliminary hearing set for Utah mom accused...
- Judge sets November hearing for ex-A.G.s Mark...
- Educators at UEA convention told to... 40
- Federal government extends same-sex... 29
- Autopsy shows man posed no threat to... 23
- Mia Love included in a new ad... 21
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 16
- Police arrest 3 suspected of... 15
- Risque video shoots trigger... 14
- Housing recovery slowest since World... 12