SOUTH SALT LAKE — Investigators say they have more questions than answers about a fatal house fire that occurred Monday.
About 7 p.m., a woman called to report that her boyfriend needed medical assistance. When emergency crews arrived at the house, 362 E. Utopia Ave., they found smoke and a small fire in a basement bedroom.
In another room in the basement, they found the body of 37-year-old Andrew K. Davis.
Detectives hope to learn more about the cause of death after an autopsy is completed. The initial indication was the man may have died from smoke inhalation, said South Salt Lake police detective Gary Keller.
But what investigators still did not know Wednesday was how the fire started.
If it's determined that the fire started under suspicious circumstances or that someone else started the fire, it "opens the door to more investigation," Keller said.
The blaze was contained to one bedroom and caused about $5,000 damage. But officials say it had the potential to do more damage.
— Pat Reavy
- About Utah: He's going public (again) for a...
- Mom who murdered 6 newborns sent to prison...
- County clerks in Utah poring over new law on...
- Man paralyzed in shooting appeals sentence...
- A Utah hiker's dream: A trek that may take...
- 17 pictures that will make you appreciate...
- Woman stole mail from 127 people, police say
- 26-year-old Provo woman missing since...
- County clerks in Utah poring over new... 62
- BYU ranked 'best value college' in Utah 27
- Herbert to meet with Obama... 24
- Utah Rep. Mia Love raises $440K in... 18
- Pornography conference probes perils,... 16
- Second student sues district over... 15
- Cheerleading coach who worked as youth... 11
- Poll: LDS Church influence over... 9