"I'm excited for my kids. ... We had a long drought when we didn't quite break through at state. But today they played great.
"When we started today, I said 'Hey, we've got nothing to lose. We go off before the lead groups, so just go out and post a score and see what happens,'" said Ward, who pointed to Rawle's second-round turnaround as the key. "Right there, that's what did it. Jackson Rawle shoots a 73 today, 1 over par, and he goes from an 85 to a 73. That was huge for us."
Rawle admitted that Monday's first-round 85 "was kind of a mess. I was all over the place, but today I just kept it under control and played well, so it was good. I put yesterday behind me just played today and it turned out well. Today I kept it together and played pretty well. Everything was good today.
"It's awesome, greatest feeling ever," he said of winning the state championship. "Next year (the Lillywhites) are gonna be really, really good and hopefully we can go back to back. We're gonna be really good next year. We'll miss (seniors) Garrett (Darling) and Caden (Dickinson), but it'll still be good."
Tuesday's final results
At Ogden Golf and Country Club
1. Timpview, 312-301—613 (Josh Lillywhite, 75-75—150; John Lillywhite, 76-78—154; Jackson Rawle, 85-73—158; Spencer Lillywhite, 84-75—159).
2. Bonneville, 309-308—617 (Carson Park, 73-69—142; Kaige Schuler, 77-78—155; Malosi Togisala, 80-79—159; Jadyn Wayment, 80-82—162).
3. Orem, 303-316—319 (Corey Carter, 70-80—150; Brock Stanger, 76-75—151; Quince Hewlett, 75-79—154; Dayson Deucher, 86-82—168).
4. Maple Mountain, 311-320—631 (Kai Ruiz, 70-74—144; Kolton Remund, 80-78—158; Mark Mortensen, 81-81—162; Alex Crandall, 80-87—167).
5. Olympus, 321-314—635 (Andrew Parker, 79-76—155; Matt Schofield, 83-76—159; Nate Fukumitsu, 80-80—160; Stryder Jones, 79-82—161).
6. East, 324-321—645; 7. Murray, 325-328—653; 8. Woods Cross, 317-337—654; 9. Timpanogos, 320-340—660; 10. Logan, 325-337—662; 11. Provo, 323-340—663.
Top individual finishers
1. Carson Park, Bonneville, 73-69—142.
2. Kai Ruiz, Maple Mountain, 70-74—144.
3. (tie) Rhett Rasmussen, Corner Canyon, 72-74—146; Benson Rhees, Spanish Fork, 73-73—146.
5. Justin Kim, Logan, 76-72—148.
6. (tie) Corey Carter, Orem, 70-80—150; Josh Lillywhite, Timpview, 75-75—150.
8. Brock Stanger, Orem, 76-75—151.
9. Hayden Banz, East, 78-74—152.
10. (tie) Janson Eisenstat, Provo, 74-79—153; Ryder Velasquez, Roy, 77-76—153.
12. (tie) John Lillywhite, Timpview, 76-78—154; Quince Hewlett, Orem, 75-79—154.
14. Kaige Schuler, Bonneville, 77-78—155; Andrew Parker, Olympus, 79-76—155; Matt Loosle, Highland,77-78—155.
17. Kyle Beard, Woods Cross, 77-79—156.
18. (tie) Jackson Rawle, Timpview, 85-73—158; Kolton Remund, Maple Mountain, 80-78—158.
20. (tie) Spencer Lillywhite, Timpview, 84-79—159; Malosa Togisala, Bonneville, 80-79—159; Matt Schofield, Olympus, 83-76—159; Niko Roumpos, Murray, 81-78—159; Aaron Yeates, Timpanogos, 79-80—159.
- Let's go bowling: Predicting this year's 35...
- Utah Jazz: NBA taking notice of Jazz rookie...
- Commentary: For the Jazz, it's all about 2016-17
- BYU's Kyle Van Noy named CBSSports.com...
- High school boys basketball: 5 top Utah prep...
- Utah Utes basketball: Bachynski's back and a...
- BYU football: Cougars sign JC wide receiver,...
- High school basketball: Tuesday's roundup
- BYU, Utah basketball: Fast start lifts... 156
- BYU digs early hole, can't recover in... 42
- BYU's Kyle Van Noy named CBSSports.com... 41
- Brad Rock: Utah, BYU coaches keep it in... 36
- BYU men's basketball: UNLV's Jamal... 33
- Utah basketball: Ute sophomore Jordan... 31
- BYU, Utah basketball report card: Utes... 25
- Utah State basketball: Leading scorer... 25