While Jones said she's a strong advocate for getting more women involved in politics, she personally has not felt she faced discrimination because of her gender. She said that's "because I do come to the table, whether they like it or not."
Her work life is another story. Back when she and her husband started their firm, Jones put together the presentations for new clients, but they always turned to him with their questions and praised him for her work.
That led to her shifting her workload over time to leading focus groups and analyzing the data collected, something her degree in communications from the University of Utah has helped with, Jones said.
Former Utah Attorney General Jan Graham, the last Democrat elected statewide, said as a client she was "so impressed with Pat's insights about the human side of politics," she urged Jones to become a candidate for the Legislature.
Jones, Graham said, "really wanted to find out what people really cared about, and her approach was always unfailingly positive and warm, not cynical and dark, which can become the default place of politics."
A former recipient of the Eleanor Roosevelt Award herself, Graham labeled Jones a political star who exhibits "kindness, decency and a genuine appreciation of people of all political stripes."
Jones said she wants to be remembered in the Legislature for her ability to work with just about everyone.
"It bothers me when people say you can't get anything done as a Democrat. It's blatantly false," Jones said. "I hope that would be said of me as I leave, that I get along. I know how to deal with most people."
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- How new technology is reshaping pacemakers
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- Friction over Trump between GOP, Utah...
- Too many boaters not stopping for quagga...
- Jordan board calls for special bond election...
- Family of slain man who killed police K9...
- Crash launches engine 100 feet, but seat belt...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 74
- Friction over Trump between GOP, Utah... 64
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 30
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- Prosecutor rails on DOJ handling of... 18
- Local government board fostered... 16
- 2 charged in attack on gay men;... 14