While Jones said she's a strong advocate for getting more women involved in politics, she personally has not felt she faced discrimination because of her gender. She said that's "because I do come to the table, whether they like it or not."
Her work life is another story. Back when she and her husband started their firm, Jones put together the presentations for new clients, but they always turned to him with their questions and praised him for her work.
That led to her shifting her workload over time to leading focus groups and analyzing the data collected, something her degree in communications from the University of Utah has helped with, Jones said.
Former Utah Attorney General Jan Graham, the last Democrat elected statewide, said as a client she was "so impressed with Pat's insights about the human side of politics," she urged Jones to become a candidate for the Legislature.
Jones, Graham said, "really wanted to find out what people really cared about, and her approach was always unfailingly positive and warm, not cynical and dark, which can become the default place of politics."
A former recipient of the Eleanor Roosevelt Award herself, Graham labeled Jones a political star who exhibits "kindness, decency and a genuine appreciation of people of all political stripes."
Jones said she wants to be remembered in the Legislature for her ability to work with just about everyone.
"It bothers me when people say you can't get anything done as a Democrat. It's blatantly false," Jones said. "I hope that would be said of me as I leave, that I get along. I know how to deal with most people."
- Mystery man who rescued driver from cliff in...
- Cheerleading coach who worked as youth...
- BYU ranked 'best value college' in Utah
- Second student sues district over teacher's...
- Slain Brigham City mom remembered as loving,...
- Osmond to run 250 miles to help kids get...
- Clearfield man intentionally punched woman...
- The startling projections of a quake in Salt...
- LDS Church, other religions urge... 102
- Married lesbian couple sues Utah to be... 65
- End of an era: Mercury rule shutters... 57
- Poll: Strong approval ratings for Gov.... 27
- Sen. Hatch's 'I-Squared' bill could... 26
- BYU ranked 'best value college' in Utah 22
- Herbert to meet with Obama... 21
- April snow shocks Utahns but does... 20