Commentary: BYU's Tom Holmoe deserves a hat tip for scheduling Stanford, among others
On the other hand, BYU isn't Notre Dame, either. The Cougars don't have the history and prestige that the Fighting Irish do. It's unreasonable to expect teams to line up around the block to play the Cougars the same way teams will for Notre Dame.
Despite all these difficulties, Holmoe has put together some fantastic schedules.
Just look at the 2013 schedule. BYU plays a nice group of big-name teams like Texas, Wisconsin, Georgia Tech and Notre Dame. The 2014 schedule isn't as solid, but the Cougars still play UConn, Texas, Virginia and Cal.
Thanks to BYU's partnership with ESPN, the Cougars have been able to put together scheduling agreements with Notre Dame, Texas, USC, Arizona, Boise State and Wisconsin. There are also plenty of great one-time games against teams like Michigan and Nebraska in 2015 and West Virginia in 2016.
Tuesday's announcement of the four-game series with Stanford starting in 2020 is another feather in Holmoe's cap, along with games against Hawaii and Savannah State.
All in all, Holmoe has done his job of scheduling big-time names to play BYU. Now it’s up to Bronco Mendenhall and the football team to step up against higher competition and win.
The one thing BYU needs to work on is its bowl tie-ins. Playing in the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl or Poinsettia Bowl just isn't that appealing to many BYU fans. That said, the Cougars have to play well enough to prove that they're deserving of a more prestigious bowl game.
But all things considered, Holmoe deserves a nice pat on the back. He has a tough job scheduling teams for independent BYU, and he's shown that he's more than up to the challenge.
Lafe Peavler is a sportswriter intern at the Deseret News. Follow me on Twitter @MasterPeavler
- Source: Kyle Whittingham not being forced out...
- Amy Donaldson: South Jordan mom eyes Boston...
- Brad Rock: Silence is the wrong approach for...
- Meet the 21 Utah ties on the NFL playoff rosters
- Brad Rock: Memo to Utes: Get your act together
- Bingham nearly topples undefeated Florida...
- BYU seeks first conference victory when...
- Red and Blue Recruits: An inside look at...
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave... 75
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not... 63
- Source: Kyle Whittingham not being... 45
- Hill, Whittingham meet after football... 41
- Brad Rock: Memo to Utes: Get your act... 39
- Red and Blue Recruits: An inside look... 22
- Brad Rock: Silence is the wrong... 17
- Dick Harmon: BYU starters lose 3-point... 15