NBA locals notebook: There's little to see from Fredette, Davies in preseason openers; Lillard's importance broken down
Lillard led the league in minutes played last season, averaging 38.6 minutes per game while earning NBA Rookie of the Year honors. Schuhmann asserted that "the Blazers’ second unit lacked both deep threats and guys who can make plays with the ball," leading to Portland's struggles when Lillard sat.
Among the Trail Blazers' moves to bring in guard help this offseason was signing former Jazzman Mo Williams.
Lillard had a full stat line in playing the third-most minutes (25:11) for Portland against the Clippers on Monday. He shot 3-for-10 from the field — including missing all five 3-point attempts — while hitting a perfect 5-of-5 on free throws to account for 11 points. Lillard also had six assists, four rebounds, five fouls, three turnovers, a steal and a blocked shot.
BOGUT OUT TO SHOW HE'S STILL GOT IT: Former University of Utah center Andrew Bogut is entering the final year of his contract with the Golden State Warriors after playing in only 32 regular-season games last year due to injury. Now he is trying to prove his worth to the Warriors, who traded for him in March 2012, in a contract year.
In Golden State's opening loss against the L.A. Lakers, Bogut led the team with 12 rebounds, including five on the offensive end. He also had seven points, an assist and a steal in 17 minutes of game time.
Against Sacramento on Monday, though, Bogut had less of an impact. In nearly 22 minutes, he scored two points and had four rebounds, two assists and two blocked shots to go along with three turnovers and six fouls.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Twitter: @brandonljudd
- Dick Harmon: Offensive line play will...
- Hawaii AD: 'There is a very real possibility...
- Guest commentary: It’s OK if BYU fans...
- Nicholls State assistant football coach is...
- Travis Wilson edges out Kendal Thompson for...
- Rock On: BYU soccer star gone, not forgotten
- Reports: Former BYU star Brett Keisel agrees...
- BYU's Bronson Kaufusi eager to display new...
- College football: BYU, Utah State... 131
- Travis Wilson edges out Kendal Thompson... 92
- Guest commentary: It’s OK if BYU... 70
- ESPN lists BYU and Utah State as... 64
- Dick Harmon: Will Utah State, BYU be... 46
- Dick Harmon: Offensive line play will... 44
- Hawaii AD: 'There is a very real... 40
- BYU's offense 'too sloppy' in scrimmage 29