SALT LAKE CITY — After a decade at the helm of the Salt Lake Community College, Cynthia Bioteau has been tapped for the top job at Florida State College at Jacksonville.
The school's board of trustees voted unanimously on Tuesday to enter into contract negotiations with Bioteau, according to a statement posted on the Florida State College at Jacksonville website. The terms of her contract, including final salary information, will be voted on during the board's November meeting. Bioteau is expected to assume the position of president in January.
In a prepared statement addressed to her colleagues, Bioteau described her selection as both exciting and bittersweet.
"The new challenges before me as I seek to learn from those at FSCJ and join with them to move that college forward are intermingled with the poignancy of all we have done together here at SLCC," Bioteau said. "I believe SLCC is more solid and important to this state and country as never before and know the greatness is from the collective wisdom and efforts."
SLCC spokesman Joy Tlou said the process of selecting Bioteau's successor had not yet been finalized.
During Bioteau's tenure as president, SLCC has grown in terms of physical size and enrollment. The school now comprises 13 locations — six major campuses and seven satellite offices — and enrolled more than 30,000 students last fall, giving it the third-largest total headcount of the Utah System of Higher Education.
For the past five years, Salt Lake Community College has ranked in the top five associate-degree producing schools in the country by Community College Week, reaching third place last year.
In 2008, Bioteau was one of five finalists for the position of president at Manatee Community College in Florida but later withdrew her name from consideration.
- Lehi toddler killed in accident remembered as...
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- A river runs dry: Water and the future of...
- Cyclist killed on training run after...
- Photo gallery: Holi festival immerses Utahns...
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more in wake...
- American Fork cyclist killed during training...
- Boy, 3, killed in Lehi scooter accident
- President Obama to make first trip to... 114
- Obama expected to stay overnight in... 58
- Sen. Harry Reid's retirement recalls... 42
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more... 42
- School leaders look for solutions to... 26
- Cyclist killed on training run after... 23
- A river runs dry: Water and the future... 16
- San Diego woman wins damages against... 15