SALT LAKE CITY — After a decade at the helm of the Salt Lake Community College, Cynthia Bioteau has been tapped for the top job at Florida State College at Jacksonville.
The school's board of trustees voted unanimously on Tuesday to enter into contract negotiations with Bioteau, according to a statement posted on the Florida State College at Jacksonville website. The terms of her contract, including final salary information, will be voted on during the board's November meeting. Bioteau is expected to assume the position of president in January.
In a prepared statement addressed to her colleagues, Bioteau described her selection as both exciting and bittersweet.
"The new challenges before me as I seek to learn from those at FSCJ and join with them to move that college forward are intermingled with the poignancy of all we have done together here at SLCC," Bioteau said. "I believe SLCC is more solid and important to this state and country as never before and know the greatness is from the collective wisdom and efforts."
SLCC spokesman Joy Tlou said the process of selecting Bioteau's successor had not yet been finalized.
During Bioteau's tenure as president, SLCC has grown in terms of physical size and enrollment. The school now comprises 13 locations — six major campuses and seven satellite offices — and enrolled more than 30,000 students last fall, giving it the third-largest total headcount of the Utah System of Higher Education.
For the past five years, Salt Lake Community College has ranked in the top five associate-degree producing schools in the country by Community College Week, reaching third place last year.
In 2008, Bioteau was one of five finalists for the position of president at Manatee Community College in Florida but later withdrew her name from consideration.
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain from...
- Smithfield teen makes Valentine's Day special...
- Scalia's death leaves major void in high...
- Giant Kennecott dump trucks are sporting an...
- France bestows highest honor on Utah veteran
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of BYU...
- 3 seriously injured in multi-vehicle crash on...
- Millcreek man found dead near Saltair was...
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain... 37
- Manti man indicted in Oregon... 36
- IRS raids properties with possible... 21
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of... 18
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 14
- State: EPA didn't clue in Utah on San... 12
- Summit County wants rewrite of Bishop's... 11
- Cheerleaders for Medicaid expansion ask... 9