SALT LAKE CITY — After a decade at the helm of the Salt Lake Community College, Cynthia Bioteau has been tapped for the top job at Florida State College at Jacksonville.
The school's board of trustees voted unanimously on Tuesday to enter into contract negotiations with Bioteau, according to a statement posted on the Florida State College at Jacksonville website. The terms of her contract, including final salary information, will be voted on during the board's November meeting. Bioteau is expected to assume the position of president in January.
In a prepared statement addressed to her colleagues, Bioteau described her selection as both exciting and bittersweet.
"The new challenges before me as I seek to learn from those at FSCJ and join with them to move that college forward are intermingled with the poignancy of all we have done together here at SLCC," Bioteau said. "I believe SLCC is more solid and important to this state and country as never before and know the greatness is from the collective wisdom and efforts."
SLCC spokesman Joy Tlou said the process of selecting Bioteau's successor had not yet been finalized.
During Bioteau's tenure as president, SLCC has grown in terms of physical size and enrollment. The school now comprises 13 locations — six major campuses and seven satellite offices — and enrolled more than 30,000 students last fall, giving it the third-largest total headcount of the Utah System of Higher Education.
For the past five years, Salt Lake Community College has ranked in the top five associate-degree producing schools in the country by Community College Week, reaching third place last year.
In 2008, Bioteau was one of five finalists for the position of president at Manatee Community College in Florida but later withdrew her name from consideration.
- Women innovators leading by example
- Living on the edge: North Salt Lake residents...
- Pleasant Grove homeowner shoot, kills man in...
- LDS artist J. Kirk Richards says leaps of...
- Lutheran, LDS leaders forge common ground...
- One man dead after attempted carjacking in Orem
- Hiker pulled from Bell Canyon after fall
- Who should pay? City, developer, residents at...
- One man dead after attempted carjacking... 38
- Herbert, legislative leaders starting... 29
- Mitt Romney tells UVU grads to 'live a... 22
- Poll: Majority of Salt Lake City... 15
- Governor, legislators leave 'baggage'... 14
- Jury convicts San Juan County... 12
- Attorney: Woman on trial in deputy's... 10
- Living on the edge: North Salt Lake... 10