Do you believe in the devil? Justice Scalia does, and suggests 'out-of-touch' media should
Josh Reynolds, AP
Do you believe in the devil? U.S. Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia does — and he was offended when a New York magazine interviewer expressed surprise and questioned him about it.
"You’re looking at me as though I’m weird," the justice told Jennifer Senior. "... Are you so out of touch with most of America, most of which believes in the Devil? I mean, Jesus Christ believed in the Devil! It’s in the Gospels! You travel in circles that are so, so removed from mainstream America that you are appalled that anybody would believe in the Devil! Most of mankind has believed in the Devil, for all of history. Many more intelligent people than you or me have believed in the Devil."
Polling data prove Scalia partly right. A Washington Examiner story last month cited a YouGov survey finding that "57 percent (of Americans) believe the devil lurks; 72 percent for African Americans and 61 percent for women. Republicans said the devil exists more than Democrats, 65 percent to 55 percent."
Scalia says he and every other Catholic believes Satan is real. He cited the Bible and author C.S. Lewis as sources for that belief, but he also noted that the devil is "wilier" and more subtle in his influence today than in the past.
"What he’s doing now is getting people not to believe in him or in God. He’s much more successful that way," Scalia said.
The Huffington Post said Senior should have asked how that belief influences Scalia as a judge.
Christianity Today reported that Scalia once asked a lawyer what he thought of Satan during a hearing before the high court in 2011.
- LDS Church clarifies position on...
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary heading...
- Pope in blistering critique of Vatican...
- LDS Church to create new missions in Utah and...
- The Clean Cut: Lexi Walker sings Christmas...
- 19 inspiring Christmas quotes from President...
- 'Unbroken' faith: The religious journey of...
- The real-life artist portrayed in 'Big Eyes'...
- LDS Church clarifies position on... 54
- How would LDS be affected by renewed... 27
- Christmas without Jesus 20
- LDS Church to create new missions in... 20
- Forget Santa Claus, Virginia. Was there... 19
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary... 13
- LDS World: Jesus Christ is the solution 9
- 'Unbroken' faith: The religious journey... 8