Do you believe in the devil? Justice Scalia does, and suggests 'out-of-touch' media should
Josh Reynolds, AP
Do you believe in the devil? U.S. Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia does — and he was offended when a New York magazine interviewer expressed surprise and questioned him about it.
"You’re looking at me as though I’m weird," the justice told Jennifer Senior. "... Are you so out of touch with most of America, most of which believes in the Devil? I mean, Jesus Christ believed in the Devil! It’s in the Gospels! You travel in circles that are so, so removed from mainstream America that you are appalled that anybody would believe in the Devil! Most of mankind has believed in the Devil, for all of history. Many more intelligent people than you or me have believed in the Devil."
Polling data prove Scalia partly right. A Washington Examiner story last month cited a YouGov survey finding that "57 percent (of Americans) believe the devil lurks; 72 percent for African Americans and 61 percent for women. Republicans said the devil exists more than Democrats, 65 percent to 55 percent."
Scalia says he and every other Catholic believes Satan is real. He cited the Bible and author C.S. Lewis as sources for that belief, but he also noted that the devil is "wilier" and more subtle in his influence today than in the past.
"What he’s doing now is getting people not to believe in him or in God. He’s much more successful that way," Scalia said.
The Huffington Post said Senior should have asked how that belief influences Scalia as a judge.
Christianity Today reported that Scalia once asked a lawyer what he thought of Satan during a hearing before the high court in 2011.
- Women hired by LDS Church History Department...
- UTubers: Returned LDS missionary part of...
- LDS missionaries safe in Taiwan after earthquake
- Mormon Taylor Swift look-alike draws national...
- Mormon Mentions: Adam Levine praises The...
- LDS Church leaders speak at RootsTech Family...
- After 3rd round of Hollywood Week on...
- New tools to facilitate work of salvation...
- Defending the Faith: Why the question... 36
- Obama at prayer breakfast: 'Jesus is a... 25
- Obama's take on 3 key debates about... 13
- Bernie Sanders disappoints some... 13
- 'A unique insight': Jermaine Sullivan... 7
- Maintaining faith during LDS Church... 5
- Panthers or Broncos? God does not care 5
- 'Rich and fascinating': New online... 4