Westminster basketball: Men's team begins season in Canada on Thursday
SALT LAKE CITY – The Westminster College men’s basketball team opens the 2013-14 season with a trip to Canada for three games at the Calgary Cup. Westminster begins its season Thursday when it faces Mount Royal at 8 p.m. at Kenyon Court. The Griffins then play Alberta on Friday at 4 p.m., and Calgary on Saturday at 7 p.m. Both of those games will be held at Jack Simpson Court.
Westminster begins the season after posting a 22-8 record during the 2012-13 campaign and returns nine players from that team, including three starters. Last season the Griffins led the NAIA in turnover margin at 7.21, while placing eighth in steals per game (11.0) and assist-to-turnover ratio (1.20).
Tallon Robertson returns for his senior season after averaging 10.6 points and 5.1 rebounds per game last season. He is the leading returner in each of those categories. Colton Moon scored 8.9 points per game as a sophomore, while picking up 63 assists and 42 steals. Blake Skidmore will also be looked to as a scoring threat this season after averaging 9.3 points per game a season ago.
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 82
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 66
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 62
- Bruins bruise Utes in 69-59 upset 41
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 39
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35
- Former Utah basketball player spreads... 25
- Red and blue recruits: Inside Britain... 24