Mormon missionary returns to service following serious accident
Dane C. Caldwell, LDS Newsroom
In April 2012, Deseret News writer Joe Walker reported on the status of Elder Tyler James Johnson, a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints serving in Toronto, Ontario, who was involved in an automobile accident.
Elder Johnson spent three weeks in a medically induced coma after a car involved in an accident nearby swerved onto the sidewalk, striking Elder Johnson and other pedestrians on Feb. 16, 2012.
At the time of the Deseret News interview, Elder Johnson had serious brain injuries and was facing many long months of rehabilitation, but his family remained optimistic.
"We expect him to have a full recovery," Elder Johnson's mother, Cherie, told Walker. "We have felt that from the very beginning, and he is definitely on that path. We feel he is going to be completely well."
On Sept. 23, 2013, Elder Johnson reached a point in his recovery that allowed him to return to Ontario to continue his missionary service, according to the LDS Newsroom.
“We are so thrilled and grateful to see this day!” Cherie said in an interview with the Newsroom. “We have immense gratitude for all who have helped Tyler in his recovery. He is ready and able once again to go forth and serve!”
Read more about Elder Johnson's recovery on the LDS Newsroom.
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- LDS Church releases video, topic page...
- An LDS missionary and a Marine: Twin brothers...
- 'Meet the Mormons' box office continues to...
- LDS husband and father is also a firefighter...
- Defending the Faith: When the criticisms of...
- LDS CIO helps LDSTech attendees better...
- Mormon Media scholars discuss church and...
- Defending the Faith: When the... 139
- Can public officials refuse to perform... 68
- 'Meet the Mormons' box office continues... 46
- LDS CIO helps LDSTech attendees better... 26
- LDS Church releases video, topic page... 21
- Why I stand with the Houston Five 19
- Vatican alters draft report translation... 17
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 16