SALT LAKE CITY — Gov. Gary Herbert has appointed attorney Sharon S. Sipes to fill a vacancy on the 2nd District Juvenile Court bench.
Sipes has operated her own private practice since 1998 at the Law Office of Sharon S. Sipes in Ogden with the focus of providing indigent defense in juvenile courts.
“Sharon is a prime example of the power of determination, hard work and the importance of education. She began her working career in a print shop and retail and is now being appointed as a judge,” Herbert said.
“I look forward to joining the other dedicated jurists in the juvenile courts across this state who commit themselves to serving our children and families,” Sipes said
Since 2004, Sipes has worked with Parental Defense Alliance in providing education and support to attorneys practicing in juvenile court and child welfare. In addition, she has served as a public defender and worked in personal injury litigation.
Sipes passed the Utah State Bar in 1994 after finishing her Juris Doctor from S.J. Quinney College of Law at the University of Utah. She received a bachelor's degree from Westminster College. She is also a certified child welfare law specialist from the National Association of Counsel for Children.
Sipes is appointed to the position held by Judge Paul Iwasaki, who retired Sept. 16 Judicial appointments are subject to confirmation by the Utah State Senate.
The 2nd District Court serves Davis, Weber and Morgan counties.
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via online...
- Searchers locate missing family of Olympian...
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake...
- Healing souls, healing a mountain
- Man seeks video of 1995 Oklahoma City...
- Draper man dies from injuries in house explosion
- Salt Lake bike share program doubles in size
- 2 killed in Uintah County crash identified as...
- Federal land managers criticized over... 24
- Renewable energy advocates decry... 18
- Habitual offender arrested in alleged... 16
- Student attitudes changing on healthy... 14
- 'No trespassing' sign may not stop... 13
- Ogden police shoot dog that was... 10
- Satellites track drought-driven... 9
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake... 9