Ogden man cleaning gun accidentally shoots self, wife
OGDEN — An Ogden man cleaning his gun accidentally shot himself and his wife Tuesday.
About 2:15 a.m., a 67-year-old man was in his home at 1104 Maxfield Drive taking his .45 caliber semi-automatic handgun apart to clean it. But he didn't realize it was loaded and it went off, said Ogden Police Lt. Steve Zaccardi.
The bullet hit the man's left index finger and then his 56-year-old wife, who was sitting in a chair next to him, in the upper thigh, Zaccardi said.
The couple called 911 and were transported to McKay-Dee Hospital with injuries that were not considered to be life-threatening.
Detectives investigating the case said the couple's story matched with the evidence and the incident appeared to be nothing more than an accident.
"Everything at the scene — talking to her and him — fit their story," Zaccardi said.
No one was cited and the case is considered closed, he said.
— Pat Reavy
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Area museums help visitors ‘slow down,...
- The tiny town that set out to be Utah's...
- Jim Bennett: One 11-year-old's perspective on...
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 63
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 47
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 29
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 21
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 18
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17
- Two Utah schools under federal... 10
- Women underrepresented across Utah's... 9