Ogden man cleaning gun accidentally shoots self, wife
OGDEN — An Ogden man cleaning his gun accidentally shot himself and his wife Tuesday.
About 2:15 a.m., a 67-year-old man was in his home at 1104 Maxfield Drive taking his .45 caliber semi-automatic handgun apart to clean it. But he didn't realize it was loaded and it went off, said Ogden Police Lt. Steve Zaccardi.
The bullet hit the man's left index finger and then his 56-year-old wife, who was sitting in a chair next to him, in the upper thigh, Zaccardi said.
The couple called 911 and were transported to McKay-Dee Hospital with injuries that were not considered to be life-threatening.
Detectives investigating the case said the couple's story matched with the evidence and the incident appeared to be nothing more than an accident.
"Everything at the scene — talking to her and him — fit their story," Zaccardi said.
No one was cited and the case is considered closed, he said.
— Pat Reavy
- Concealed permit holder stopped armed robbery...
- Photos: Hollywood comes to Utah with the...
- 'Frozen', Utah style! Slot canyons, arches...
- Suspected DUI driver found in barn hours...
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax this...
- Are you willing to pay more for your child's...
- Sen. Mike Lee urges conservative Republicans...
- How to keep a youthful appearance
- Mitt sounds like a candidate at Salt... 87
- Sen. Mike Lee urges conservative... 25
- Are you willing to pay more for your... 21
- EPA inventory highlights 'toxic'... 19
- Darrien Hunt's mother pleads not guilty... 19
- Former SUU rugby player sentenced to... 18
- Inmates turn in handgun and magazine... 18
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax... 16