Ogden man cleaning gun accidentally shoots self, wife
OGDEN — An Ogden man cleaning his gun accidentally shot himself and his wife Tuesday.
About 2:15 a.m., a 67-year-old man was in his home at 1104 Maxfield Drive taking his .45 caliber semi-automatic handgun apart to clean it. But he didn't realize it was loaded and it went off, said Ogden Police Lt. Steve Zaccardi.
The bullet hit the man's left index finger and then his 56-year-old wife, who was sitting in a chair next to him, in the upper thigh, Zaccardi said.
The couple called 911 and were transported to McKay-Dee Hospital with injuries that were not considered to be life-threatening.
Detectives investigating the case said the couple's story matched with the evidence and the incident appeared to be nothing more than an accident.
"Everything at the scene — talking to her and him — fit their story," Zaccardi said.
No one was cited and the case is considered closed, he said.
— Pat Reavy
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- About Utah: Selling bikes the new-fashioned way
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences' for teen...
- 2016 Sterling Scholar candidates
- Police ID man who barricaded himself in motor...
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile offenders...
- Teen in critical condition after slamming...
- Charges: Orem mom left 2 small kids alone...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 54
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 34
- Feds say Orem man duped hundreds of... 28
- Meagan Grunwald won't get a new trial... 25
- Are you willing to take a pledge to... 21
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 18
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery... 16
- Video involving officer whose ear was... 15