OGDEN — An Ogden man cleaning his gun accidentally shot himself and his wife Tuesday.
About 2:15 a.m., a 67-year-old man was in his home at 1104 Maxfield Drive taking his .45 caliber semi-automatic handgun apart to clean it. But he didn't realize it was loaded and it went off, said Ogden Police Lt. Steve Zaccardi.
The bullet hit the man's left index finger and then his 56-year-old wife, who was sitting in a chair next to him, in the upper thigh, Zaccardi said.
The couple called 911 and were transported to McKay-Dee Hospital with injuries that were not considered to be life-threatening.
Detectives investigating the case said the couple's story matched with the evidence and the incident appeared to be nothing more than an accident.
"Everything at the scene — talking to her and him — fit their story," Zaccardi said.
No one was cited and the case is considered closed, he said.
— Pat Reavy
- Parents remember child, 6, who died days...
- British judge hears arguments in case LDS...
- Parties have now finalized arguments in...
- Can House speaker be a 'real fighter' in...
- LDS missionary from Utah dies in Micronesia
- 25-year-old man dies after losing control of...
- Teen with traumatic brain injury making...
- Layton man injured in Afghanistan adopts...
- Parties have now finalized arguments in... 76
- Utah recognition of same-sex marriage... 74
- British judge hears arguments in case... 60
- LDS missionary from Utah dies in... 41
- Cyclists killed in early morning crash... 36
- Utah prosecutors forward allegations... 34
- House report: John Swallow hung 'for... 32
- BYU chemist makes breakthrough... 29