Ogden man cleaning gun accidentally shoots self, wife
OGDEN — An Ogden man cleaning his gun accidentally shot himself and his wife Tuesday.
About 2:15 a.m., a 67-year-old man was in his home at 1104 Maxfield Drive taking his .45 caliber semi-automatic handgun apart to clean it. But he didn't realize it was loaded and it went off, said Ogden Police Lt. Steve Zaccardi.
The bullet hit the man's left index finger and then his 56-year-old wife, who was sitting in a chair next to him, in the upper thigh, Zaccardi said.
The couple called 911 and were transported to McKay-Dee Hospital with injuries that were not considered to be life-threatening.
Detectives investigating the case said the couple's story matched with the evidence and the incident appeared to be nothing more than an accident.
"Everything at the scene — talking to her and him — fit their story," Zaccardi said.
No one was cited and the case is considered closed, he said.
— Pat Reavy
- BYU Museum of Art acquires previously lost...
- Security, authorities detain woman...
- Salt Lake Olympic scandal 'set a precedent'...
- Heavy rains in Utah fail to wash away drought
- Police: More than 100 Sanpete County homes...
- 5 Browns sisters to promote bill on statute...
- 'I just can't say 'I'm sorry' enough': Woman...
- Chopper pilot set to retire after 46 years,...
- Gov. Herbert stepping up pressure on... 44
- Utahns cheer, jeer appeals court's... 39
- Utah Attorney General's office moves to... 22
- Conservative group yanks TV ads... 17
- Parents of teen who died in overdose... 16
- Mayor responds to pending harassment... 14
- PacSun pulls T-shirt from shelves after... 14
- Salt Lake City leaders announce... 14