USU football: Aggie senior Jake Doughty proud to have helped put USU back on the football map
As the team progresses and continues to show who they are and what they can do, Doughty becomes more and more driven by his desire to succeed and win.
But almost more than the need to win is his need to not lose. While those may appear to be the same thing to anyone else, there is a difference between the two in Doughty’s mind.
His contributions have not gone unnoticed. Since 2010, he has seen action in every game, including starting each of his last 18 games. Last season, he earned first-team all-WAC honors after leading the team and being second in the league with 109 tackles on the year.
His efforts helped lead the team to an 11-2 record, a top 20 national ranking and a conference championship — all things that hadn’t been accomplished at Utah State in a very long time or ever.
“From that Hawai’i game when quarterback Chuckie (Keeton) got hurt to completely turning this program around to the Louisiana Tech game last year has felt great,” Doughty said. “Knowing that we were the last football champions the WAC ever had was a good feeling.
“I hate losing. I hate losing more than anything. The fear of failure is what motivates me. I don’t like losing in anything, let alone in things I really care about. Winning is great and everything, but it’s the fear and hatred of losing. When you win, it means something, but when you lose, that’s when it really gets to you and grinds your gears.”
Doughty will graduate next May with a degree in mechanical engineering, a tough major to pursue for anyone, let alone for someone with such significant extracurricular activities like being a student-athlete. He has taken on the challenge successfully and learned a lot from it as he prepares to finish college and take on the real world.
“It teaches you to work well as a team and with other people. It teaches you to never give up,” he said. “When stuff gets hard, you can’t stop. Whatever you work for, it will pay off in the end.”
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule difficult...
- 5 things to watch for as BYU, Utah and USU...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy players of...
- Brad Rock: Hill, Keeton, Booker not the best...
- From dating advice to awkward returns: 10 of...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 107
- Cougars say they have learned lessons... 70
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 53
- Utah makes top 7 for 4-star offensive... 50
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 42
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32
- Whittingham dishes on stadium... 27
- Guard Elijah Bryant announces he is... 21