Elise Amendola, File, Associated Press
Late last month, Oprah Winfrey told “Access Hollywood” she has no intentions of ever marrying longtime boyfriend Stedman Graham. Consequently, New York Post columnist Naomi Schaefer Riley called out Oprah’s marriage evasion for the unhealthy message it sends.
“At long last, Oprah Winfrey has set a bad example,” Riley opined in an op-ed headlined “Unwed Oprah’s being a terrible role model.”
To gain some perspective about the rise in divorce and decline in remarriages for Americans in the same age bracket as the 59-year-old Winfrey, Riley interviewed National Marriage Project director Brad Wilcox.
Riley wrote, “While this (trend) is in part the result of ‘women’s increased financial independence,’ says Wilcox, ‘the culture’s celebration of individualism means that fewer Americans are spending their Golden Years married.’
“Which is sad, frankly. This view of marriage — as merely a means of individual fulfillment — is something bigger. And it means that more of us will die alone.”
Shaun Robinson of “Access Hollywood” catalyzed the discussion about Oprah’s marriage prospects in late September when he asked, “Will you leave this earth as a never-married woman?”
The actress, talk-show host and self-made billionaire responded, “Yes. Yeah, I think that’s my final answer.”
- Why babies are expensive, but could save you...
- Big screen 'Maze Runner' is a big dream come...
- 33 things I want my sons to know
- Liberals teach kids tolerance over faith;...
- Supporters for traditional marriage focus on...
- Things that changed my view of marriage forever
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- 'Duck Dynasty' dad approves of daughter's...
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 53
- Linda & Richard Eyre: If we lose... 45
- Experts debate whether marriage is... 30
- Liberals teach kids tolerance over... 24
- Striking or spanking a child is not a... 20
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 10
- Mom battling cancer determined to live... 7
- 'Duck Dynasty' dad approves of... 6