Elise Amendola, File, Associated Press
Late last month, Oprah Winfrey told “Access Hollywood” she has no intentions of ever marrying longtime boyfriend Stedman Graham. Consequently, New York Post columnist Naomi Schaefer Riley called out Oprah’s marriage evasion for the unhealthy message it sends.
“At long last, Oprah Winfrey has set a bad example,” Riley opined in an op-ed headlined “Unwed Oprah’s being a terrible role model.”
To gain some perspective about the rise in divorce and decline in remarriages for Americans in the same age bracket as the 59-year-old Winfrey, Riley interviewed National Marriage Project director Brad Wilcox.
Riley wrote, “While this (trend) is in part the result of ‘women’s increased financial independence,’ says Wilcox, ‘the culture’s celebration of individualism means that fewer Americans are spending their Golden Years married.’
“Which is sad, frankly. This view of marriage — as merely a means of individual fulfillment — is something bigger. And it means that more of us will die alone.”
Shaun Robinson of “Access Hollywood” catalyzed the discussion about Oprah’s marriage prospects in late September when he asked, “Will you leave this earth as a never-married woman?”
The actress, talk-show host and self-made billionaire responded, “Yes. Yeah, I think that’s my final answer.”
- Bubba Watson, two-time Masters Golf...
- Salt Lake's record-setting convention kicks...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir to carry on tradition...
- 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' cast...
- Theater preview: Pioneer Theatre raises...
- Do moms need a purpose beyond motherhood?
- Top 10 spring activities for Utah families
- John Lennon audio interviews surface on 'I'm...
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Tipping points:... 36
- Appeals judges question right to sue in... 25
- Doug Robinson: The first kiss and the... 24
- Elizabeth Smart talks forgiveness and... 24
- Wright Words: Despite horrific fire,... 12
- Judge set to issue key Ohio gay... 11
- Get married, stay married? No fault... 10
- 'Heaven is for Real' delivers a... 9