Elise Amendola, File, Associated Press
Late last month, Oprah Winfrey told “Access Hollywood” she has no intentions of ever marrying longtime boyfriend Stedman Graham. Consequently, New York Post columnist Naomi Schaefer Riley called out Oprah’s marriage evasion for the unhealthy message it sends.
“At long last, Oprah Winfrey has set a bad example,” Riley opined in an op-ed headlined “Unwed Oprah’s being a terrible role model.”
To gain some perspective about the rise in divorce and decline in remarriages for Americans in the same age bracket as the 59-year-old Winfrey, Riley interviewed National Marriage Project director Brad Wilcox.
Riley wrote, “While this (trend) is in part the result of ‘women’s increased financial independence,’ says Wilcox, ‘the culture’s celebration of individualism means that fewer Americans are spending their Golden Years married.’
“Which is sad, frankly. This view of marriage — as merely a means of individual fulfillment — is something bigger. And it means that more of us will die alone.”
Shaun Robinson of “Access Hollywood” catalyzed the discussion about Oprah’s marriage prospects in late September when he asked, “Will you leave this earth as a never-married woman?”
The actress, talk-show host and self-made billionaire responded, “Yes. Yeah, I think that’s my final answer.”
- Alex Boye to make second appearance on NBC's...
- 31 things you might not know about the Harry...
- 'The Book of Mormon' musical is an...
- 20 things I wish I would have known before...
- Dear daughter, when did I last wash your hair?
- Motherhood Matters: 4 ways to help your...
- ValueSpeak: 'Goodbye, Farewell and Amen'
- Mormon thrill ride creator still generating...
- 'The Book of Mormon' musical is an... 116
- Beating the odds: Trip to the White... 4
- ValueSpeak: 'Goodbye, Farewell and Amen' 3
- Dear daughter, when did I last wash... 2
- Mormon thrill ride creator still... 2
- Cruise, Ferguson deliver a winner with... 1
- Renovation Solutions: Finding more... 1
- 20 things I wish I would have known... 1