Utah Utes football: Dale Murphy says his son Jake has a broken wrist
Ravell Call, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah tight end Jake Murphy is scheduled to have surgery on a broken wrist Tuesday.
His father, former baseball star Dale Murphy, released the news via Twitter Monday evening:
Murphy caught two passes for 27 yards in the Utes’ 34-27 loss to the Bruins. The 6-foot-4, 252-pound junior, who was still on top of this week’s depth chart with Westlee Tonga, is fifth on the team with 10 receptions (for 179 yards) this season. He has scored one touchdown.
Utah coach Kyle Whittingham said Murphy’s prognosis won’t be known until a doctor's appointment on Tuesday. As per policy, Whittingham will just comment on season-ending injuries at this point — meaning he’ll discuss the matter with the media only if Murphy is sidelined for the rest of the year.
The Utes host fifth-ranked Stanford Saturday afternoon at Rice-Eccles Stadium.
- Brad Rock: No BYU, but no regrets for Jabari...
- Defense, rebounding, big second half propels...
- BYU football adds California DL Kainoa Fuiava...
- BYU basketball: First-grader given royal blue...
- Utes drop heartbreaker at Oregon State, 71-69
- Morning links: Grading the BYU, Utah and USU...
- Live stream: High school drill team state...
- High school football: Bountiful High coach...
- Morning links: Which Utah school has... 92
- Utes drop heartbreaker at Oregon State,... 82
- Morning links: Grading the BYU, Utah... 79
- After slow start, Runnin' Utes sprint... 49
- Utes receive commitment from Florida LB... 42
- BYU football: 2016 recruiting class... 42
- College football signing day central:... 34
- Morning links: Ty Detmer plays ping... 32