Sophomore catcher Dason Houston “has been terrific in the leadoff position” for the Bobcats, and freshman first baseman Trey Barney has been very solid as well. Those two, along with Campbell and Tyce Barney, spearhead the Bobcats’ attack at the plate, though they’ve also gotten strong hitting performances through the lineup from Troy Bagy, Rowdy Josie and Kolton Owens.
“We’ve had several guys on our team who have come up with big hits this season,” said Clint Barney, who’s admittedly leary about the 1A tourney’s single-elimination format.
“You have that one error or that one bloop hit that can swing a baseball game,” he said. “It’s really unpredictable, so you can’t afford to have an off-day. There have been some years where that’s benefitted me, and there’s been some years where we’ve been real good and still lost.”
Region 17 champion Tabiona (14-1 overall) has been beat just once all season — 14-3 by Panguitch back in early August — and the Tigers have their own undefeated pitcher in Bailey Hogan, who has a spotless 8-0 mound mark and has also been one of the team’s top hitters, along with Justin Clyde, who has posted a 4-1 pitching record and has banged out 11 extra-base hits, including a team-leading four home runs. Jarret Lefler, Dusty Jones, Sheldon Giles and Reno Humphrey have also swung strong bats for Tabiona.
St. Joseph (14-5) is led by Nick Gruet, who has been the Jayhawks’ top pitcher, going 7-1, while also banging out at least a dozen base hits for the Region 18 champs.
- Week 17 NFL locals roundup & gallery: Ansah...
- Prep Wrestling: state's best wrestlers to...
- How to watch Utah football stars, local...
- Herriman brothers say their bond, competition...
- Prep Wrestling: Mountain View wins Bruin Classic
- Utahns who made us love sports in 2015
- High school basketball: Morby's last-second...
- MountainStar Healthcare Star Athletes of Week 20
- Morning links: BYU's Eric Mika returns... 67
- Amy Donaldson: Recent hearings on rules... 9
- High school football: 2016 schedules... 5
- Layton junior high wrestler loses... 3
- Morning links: 4 Utahns on ESPN 300... 1
- Skyridge High School 2016 football... 0
- Ridgeline High School 2016 football... 0
- High school track: Top performances... 0