Sophomore catcher Dason Houston “has been terrific in the leadoff position” for the Bobcats, and freshman first baseman Trey Barney has been very solid as well. Those two, along with Campbell and Tyce Barney, spearhead the Bobcats’ attack at the plate, though they’ve also gotten strong hitting performances through the lineup from Troy Bagy, Rowdy Josie and Kolton Owens.
“We’ve had several guys on our team who have come up with big hits this season,” said Clint Barney, who’s admittedly leary about the 1A tourney’s single-elimination format.
“You have that one error or that one bloop hit that can swing a baseball game,” he said. “It’s really unpredictable, so you can’t afford to have an off-day. There have been some years where that’s benefitted me, and there’s been some years where we’ve been real good and still lost.”
Region 17 champion Tabiona (14-1 overall) has been beat just once all season — 14-3 by Panguitch back in early August — and the Tigers have their own undefeated pitcher in Bailey Hogan, who has a spotless 8-0 mound mark and has also been one of the team’s top hitters, along with Justin Clyde, who has posted a 4-1 pitching record and has banged out 11 extra-base hits, including a team-leading four home runs. Jarret Lefler, Dusty Jones, Sheldon Giles and Reno Humphrey have also swung strong bats for Tabiona.
St. Joseph (14-5) is led by Nick Gruet, who has been the Jayhawks’ top pitcher, going 7-1, while also banging out at least a dozen base hits for the Region 18 champs.
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah State
- Doug Robinson: A victory lap for Hot Rod Hundley
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with Wagner...
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for Miami...
- Blocking the net helped propel BYU to Final...
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in the...
- Ready or not, Vegas: Here come the Utes
- Preparation, hard work help BYU's Koroma earn...
- 4-star offensive line commit Kieffer... 67
- Utes rally but fall short against Kansas 61
- BYU has something to prove, looking to... 60
- BYU whips Weber State, gets a scare... 48
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 42
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 32
- Dick Harmon: BYU guard Tyler Haws the... 30
- BYU women's volleyball advances to the... 25