Both stirring and soothing, the lush, beautiful music on pianist David Glen Hatch's new CD "Called to All the World" is meant to be a pleasant companion for missionaries.
Most of the songs are classic, familiar melodies learned in the Primary classes and congregations of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints but arranged in fresh, appealing ways.
The medley of "I Hope They Call Me On a Mission" and "Called to Serve" is destined to become a favorite as is the "Called to Serve" combination of a young boy's solo and a men's choir.
The Book of Mormon medley featuring an oboe solo with Mayan touches is a standout. "Behold, a Royal Army" is a dramatic call to action.
There is a little bit of everything on this album, from soft, reflective arrangements to strident, inspiring marches with trumpets and organ accompaniment.
The songs created by Hatch just for this collection are sweet, joyous and tender (including "The Call" and "Letter From Home”).
Here is a CD designed to be given to the missionary as he or she leaves.
It's simple, nicely paced and confidently performed by an accomplished artist who knows his audience and the confines of his or her world.
It can provide solace, musical comfort and peace without distracting. A graduate of Brigham Young University, Hatch and his wife have five children and currently live in Orem.
Sharon Haddock is a professional writer with more than 35 years experience, 17 at the Deseret News. Her personal blog is at sharonhaddock.blogspot.com.
- From tragedy to lives touched, Chris Williams...
- Police arrest man who posed as Mormon...
- Leading Jordanian Muslim and Christian...
- LDS Church names Elder Clayton new senior...
- Unique LDS temple, high-rise apartment...
- Sunday School leader apologizes for...
- LDS YouTube family, the Shaytards, featured...
- UTubers: Lindsey Stirling and Lexi Walker...
- Elders Rasband, Stevenson, Renlund... 47
- Workers removing Ten Commandments from... 45
- Lois M. Collins: The 'death' of faith... 37
- Sunday School leader apologizes for... 37
- The spiritual revolution taking place... 18
- In Saturday's General Conference... 16
- LDS Church leaders continue to... 16
- Leaders close conference by urging... 13