Las Cruces, N.M. — The BYU women's golf team completed the first round of the Price's "Give 'Em Five" Intercollegiate tied in ninth place on Monday.
"We didn't really get off to a good start, but we did a lot of good things as well," BYU women's golf head coach Carrie Roberts said. "We're going to take advantage of the par 5 tomorrow and come out better."
The Cougars finished the first round of the three-day tournament at 16-over-par, tied with Idaho, ahead of Wyoming (+17), North Texas (+18), University of Texas at El Paso (+22) and Utah Valley University (+30). University of California, Irvine stayed on top after the first round at two-over-par.
"I thought it was awesome for Brooklyn," Roberts said. "She had to step up in the last minute because one of our players got hurt and her final score was awesome. Selu played steady as well, so I was proud of her.
Annika Afoa Kahaialii completed the first round at 4-over-par in 34th place, while Lea Garner finished 6-over-par tied in 47th place with a team-high of three birdies. Garner's three birdies were the fourth most out of a total of 77 players. Carly Oldroyd finished out the round with a score of 85.
With two more rounds to play, BYU looks to improve its ranks in the next two days of the 14-team tournament.
"It's a team sport and we need to play together, but there were a lot of positives," Roberts said. "We'll play better tomorrow."
The Cougars return to action for the next two days at the NMSU Golf Course with tee times beginning at 8:30 a.m. MDT. Live stats can be followed on Golfstat's website.
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big 12...
- BYU and the Big 12: A timeline of events
- Big 12 Media Days social roundup: Baylor,...
- Twitter reacts to Big 12 expansion developments
- Brad Rock: What BYU needs to nail down Big 12...
- Top 25 QB seasons in BYU history, part 1
- College football countdown No. 43: BYU...
- Athlete's tribute: 'Show me a legend and...
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big... 126
- Brad Rock: What BYU needs to nail down... 105
- Morning links: National college... 76
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 68
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 62
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 52
- Big 12 Media Days social roundup:... 49
- Annual instate college basketball... 37