Las Cruces, N.M. — The BYU women's golf team completed the first round of the Price's "Give 'Em Five" Intercollegiate tied in ninth place on Monday.
"We didn't really get off to a good start, but we did a lot of good things as well," BYU women's golf head coach Carrie Roberts said. "We're going to take advantage of the par 5 tomorrow and come out better."
The Cougars finished the first round of the three-day tournament at 16-over-par, tied with Idaho, ahead of Wyoming (+17), North Texas (+18), University of Texas at El Paso (+22) and Utah Valley University (+30). University of California, Irvine stayed on top after the first round at two-over-par.
"I thought it was awesome for Brooklyn," Roberts said. "She had to step up in the last minute because one of our players got hurt and her final score was awesome. Selu played steady as well, so I was proud of her.
Annika Afoa Kahaialii completed the first round at 4-over-par in 34th place, while Lea Garner finished 6-over-par tied in 47th place with a team-high of three birdies. Garner's three birdies were the fourth most out of a total of 77 players. Carly Oldroyd finished out the round with a score of 85.
With two more rounds to play, BYU looks to improve its ranks in the next two days of the 14-team tournament.
"It's a team sport and we need to play together, but there were a lot of positives," Roberts said. "We'll play better tomorrow."
The Cougars return to action for the next two days at the NMSU Golf Course with tee times beginning at 8:30 a.m. MDT. Live stats can be followed on Golfstat's website.
- Red and Blue Recruits: An inside look at...
- Dick Harmon: BYU starters lose 3-point range...
- BYU seeks first conference victory when...
- Pangos, Wiltjer lead Gonzaga to victory over...
- Video analysis: Anson Winder continues to...
- Meet the 21 Utah ties on the NFL playoff rosters
- Bill Plaschke: Sarkisian passed final exam of...
- These 14 Utahns reminded us why we love...
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not... 63
- Red and Blue Recruits: An inside look... 21
- Dick Harmon: BYU starters lose 3-point... 15
- Pangos, Wiltjer lead Gonzaga to victory... 13
- Injury-riddled BYU set to host WCC... 10
- BYU's Tyler Haws' recovery from an... 5
- Video analysis: Anson Winder continues... 5
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball strength... 4