OREM — Three men were arrested in connection with a drive-by shooting over the weekend.
No one was injured in the Saturday night shooting, but at least one bullet missed a potential victim's head by inches, according to a police affidavit filed in 4th District Court.
Jorge Estrada-Aquado, 25, of Springville, Franklin Rincan-Rodriquez, 36, of Provo, and Elias Ramirez, 25, of Provo, were all arrested for investigation of attempted murder and discharge of a firearm from a vehicle. In addition, Estrada-Aquado and Rincan-Rodriquez were also arrested for investigation of possession of a firearm by a restricted person. Police believed all three may be in the country illegally.
Just after 10:30 p.m. Saturday, police say shots were fired from a white Dodge Durango at a house at 140 N. 400 East where a man was sitting in a vehicle in the driveway.
"Two rounds were shot into his vehicle, one missing his head by inches," the affidavit states. Three other rounds went into the house.
The homeowner called police. Investigators located the vehicle and made three arrests a short time later.
Earlier in the evening, the homeowner said the same vehicle had driven by his house slowly while he was out front talking with friends. Later, he saw the vehicle return.
"He reported seeing a vehicle coming down the road with no lights on. He heard a shot and hid on the floor of his truck," the affidavit states.
No motive was given for the attack. But when police interviewed one of the three suspects, he indicated that Estrada-Aquado was "having problems with another male," according to the affidavit.
Detectives searching another residence found a handgun and an assault rifle they believe were used in the attack.
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain from...
- Smithfield teen makes Valentine's Day special...
- Scalia's death leaves major void in high...
- Giant Kennecott dump trucks are sporting an...
- France bestows highest honor on Utah veteran
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of BYU...
- 3 seriously injured in multi-vehicle crash on...
- Millcreek man found dead near Saltair was...
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain... 37
- Manti man indicted in Oregon... 36
- IRS raids properties with possible... 21
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of... 18
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 14
- State: EPA didn't clue in Utah on San... 12
- Summit County wants rewrite of Bishop's... 11
- Cheerleaders for Medicaid expansion ask... 9