2 arrested in half-million dollar theft from Gilsonite mine
VERNAL — Two men are behind bars, accused of stealing half a million dollars worth of equipment and materials from a company that mines Gilsonite.
Christopher Corbin of Craig, Colo., and Kenneth Ray of Ogden, were arrested late Thursday, according to Uintah County Sheriff's Cpl. Brian Fletcher.
Deputies were dispatched to the Bonanza area 40 miles south of Vernal after receiving a report of a possible theft in progress. They found a truck leaving the area and stopped it.
Corbin, 40, and Ray, 25, were in the truck along with an estimated $500,000 in industrial equipment and materials taken from American Gilsonite Co., Fletcher said. Deputies also found drugs and drug paraphernalia, the corporal said.
Gilsonite is a unique industrial mineral found only in eastern Utah, according to American Gilsonite's corporate website. The glossy black, solid hydrocarbon resin was first discovered in 1860 by Samuel H. Gilson. It is used in the manufacture of acid, alkali and waterproof coatings.
Uintah County Sheriff Jeff Merrell attributed the quick arrests of Corbin and Ray to the person who called 911 and the quick response of deputies. Merrell encouraged others to contact the sheriff’s office if they see or are aware of suspicious activity.
Corbin and Ray were booked into the Uintah County Jail for investigation of burglary, theft, and drug possession.
— Geoff Liesik
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- How new technology is reshaping pacemakers
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- Friction over Trump between GOP, Utah...
- Too many boaters not stopping for quagga...
- Jordan board calls for special bond election...
- Family of slain man who killed police K9...
- Crash launches engine 100 feet, but seat belt...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 74
- Friction over Trump between GOP, Utah... 64
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 30
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- Prosecutor rails on DOJ handling of... 18
- Local government board fostered... 16
- 2 charged in attack on gay men;... 15