2 arrested in half-million dollar theft from Gilsonite mine
VERNAL — Two men are behind bars, accused of stealing half a million dollars worth of equipment and materials from a company that mines Gilsonite.
Christopher Corbin of Craig, Colo., and Kenneth Ray of Ogden, were arrested late Thursday, according to Uintah County Sheriff's Cpl. Brian Fletcher.
Deputies were dispatched to the Bonanza area 40 miles south of Vernal after receiving a report of a possible theft in progress. They found a truck leaving the area and stopped it.
Corbin, 40, and Ray, 25, were in the truck along with an estimated $500,000 in industrial equipment and materials taken from American Gilsonite Co., Fletcher said. Deputies also found drugs and drug paraphernalia, the corporal said.
Gilsonite is a unique industrial mineral found only in eastern Utah, according to American Gilsonite's corporate website. The glossy black, solid hydrocarbon resin was first discovered in 1860 by Samuel H. Gilson. It is used in the manufacture of acid, alkali and waterproof coatings.
Uintah County Sheriff Jeff Merrell attributed the quick arrests of Corbin and Ray to the person who called 911 and the quick response of deputies. Merrell encouraged others to contact the sheriff’s office if they see or are aware of suspicious activity.
Corbin and Ray were booked into the Uintah County Jail for investigation of burglary, theft, and drug possession.
— Geoff Liesik
- Video: How to choose the right helmet for...
- ACLU sues the state over inadequate legal...
- Residents of six apartments displaced in Salt...
- Saratoga Springs residents fed up with city's...
- Man suffers burns in costly West Valley fire...
- Body of missing hiker found above Alta
- Documents: Former teacher says he used to...
- Nearly 70 percent of Utahns say Donald Trump...
- Immigration ruling called hurtful, a... 75
- Nearly 70 percent of Utahns say Donald... 62
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 30
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 27
- Arches Health Plan shutdown leaves $33... 27
- ACLU sues the state over inadequate... 26
- Utah GOP brings up father's bank... 25
- Rio Grande neighborhood 'more unsafe... 21