Elder Adrian Q. Ochoa of the Seventy began his conference address Sunday afternoon by telling a story from his youth. He and his two cousins were sent to purchase groceries but due to poor weather conditions could not make it home. They had to stay with a family they didn't know, while loved ones searched all night for them. If they would have "looked up" and given attention to the weather, they would have been safe.
"My experience with my cousins taught me to pay attention to the signs of our times. We live in the stormy, perilous days Paul described: 'Men shall be lovers of their own selves, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy false accusers, incontinent, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God" (2 Timothy 3:2-4).
One particular sign of the times Elder Ochoa warned about was with technology. "Technology has augmented our freedom of speech, but it also gives an unqualified blogger false credibility based on the number of viewers," he said. "In particular, I caution you not to view filthy images or give your attention to the false accusers of Christ and the Prophet Joseph Smith."
Elder Ochoa then suggested to members who come across anything that causes them to question their testimony of the gospel to "look up." Elder Ochoa said, "Look to the Source of all wisdom and truth. Nourish your faith and testimony with the word of God. There are those in the world who seek to undermine your faith by mixing lies with half-truths."
A way we can know if Jesus Christ is the Son of God and Joseph Smith is a true prophet is by their fruits, said Elder Ochoa. "I know for myself that my Redeemer has forgiven my sins and freed me of my personal yoke. And I know for myself that Joseph Smith was a prophet I have applied the simple promise of the Book of Mormon. In simple words, look up."
Elder Ochoa said, "No one knows when the Lord will come again. But the perilous times are now upon us. Today is the time to look up to the Source of truth and ensure that our testimonies are strong."
- Dog reacts to LDS missionary returning home...
- Mentor to Brandon Mull, James Dashner chose...
- LDS Family Services providing free online...
- Jewish woman launches modest online...
- Book recounts LDS Church history using Legos
- Elder Holland discusses religious freedom,...
- Elder Holland calls on Christians to unite to...
- Why I make my kids go to church
- Elder Holland calls on Christians to... 103
- Defending the Faith: Even in science,... 72
- Why I make my kids go to church 55
- Jewish woman launches modest online... 18
- Dog reacts to LDS missionary returning... 13
- K2 The Church's grand opening a... 12
- Netanyahu speech deepens rift between... 12
- Doug Robinson: A Boy Scout for 75 years... 7