Real Salt Lake report card: Overall hustle, effort earns RSL 1-1 draw at home
A draw at home is almost never a proud result for Jason Kreis and Co., however Saturday night's 1-1 tie against FC Dallas put a smile on his face given the circumstances.
RSL played 75 minutes down a man after defender Abdoulie Mansally was shown a straight red card for a hard challenge on Dallas midfielder Jackson. This was the sixth red card that penalized RSL this season. The team's record from those games is now 1-3-2.
So given those circumstances, RSL's effort pleased Kreis just this one time at home.
"I told them at halftime, you guys do everything you can to work extremely hard," Kreis said. "You get one point, that's fantastic, you get anything more than that that's cake, that's icing on the cake."
RSL had a good chance to hold on for the win after Alvaro Saborio put his team up 1-0 in the 60th minute, but 12 minutes later Kenny Cooper, who came into the game at halftime for Dallas, equalized the match.
Whitney O'Bannon is a new media sports writer for the Deseret News. Follow on Twitter at @whitney_oban.
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former Cougar...
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share...
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU filled...
- Red-hot Utah Jazz enter the danger zone
- Rock On: Jabari's guide to Utah
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to assist...
- High school wrestling: Perennial powers...
- For Star Lotulelei, Super Bowl loss leaves...
- Utes drop heartbreaker at Oregon State,... 103
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to... 67
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake hired... 33
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to... 30
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU... 29
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share... 29
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former... 27
- Cougars regrouping, going back on the... 24