Real Salt Lake report card: Overall hustle, effort earns RSL 1-1 draw at home
A draw at home is almost never a proud result for Jason Kreis and Co., however Saturday night's 1-1 tie against FC Dallas put a smile on his face given the circumstances.
RSL played 75 minutes down a man after defender Abdoulie Mansally was shown a straight red card for a hard challenge on Dallas midfielder Jackson. This was the sixth red card that penalized RSL this season. The team's record from those games is now 1-3-2.
So given those circumstances, RSL's effort pleased Kreis just this one time at home.
"I told them at halftime, you guys do everything you can to work extremely hard," Kreis said. "You get one point, that's fantastic, you get anything more than that that's cake, that's icing on the cake."
RSL had a good chance to hold on for the win after Alvaro Saborio put his team up 1-0 in the 60th minute, but 12 minutes later Kenny Cooper, who came into the game at halftime for Dallas, equalized the match.
Whitney O'Bannon is a new media sports writer for the Deseret News. Follow on Twitter at @whitney_oban.
- 16 Mormon pop culture moments from 2014-15
- 20 questions: How well do you know Tyler...
- 15 signs that you're addicted to your Fitbit
- High school basketball tournaments: Pairings,...
- Haws breaks all-time scoring record in 1st...
- 4A boys basketball tournament quarterfinal...
- Morning links: Utah coaching job ranked; NFL...
- Dick Harmon: Holmoe's outward interest for...
- Too many turnovers, not enough baskets... 114
- Peavler: BYU and Utah would both be... 89
- Holmoe talks about bowl brawl... 81
- Dick Harmon: Holmoe's outward interest... 55
- Utah falls to No. 13 in AP poll;... 43
- Dick Harmon: Putting Haws' impending... 37
- Morning links: Examining BYU's at-large... 29
- Morning links: Utah coaching job... 29