Sen. Mike Lee, R-Utah, and Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, and Speaker John Boehner’s valiant efforts to defund or delay Obamacare — even using the federal government funding resolution as leverage — will no doubt fail. They don’t have the votes to make it happen — and they don’t have the White House.
Further, as Newt Gingrich once learned, more people will blame the Republicans for the shutdown than the Democrats. Sen. Harry Reid, D- Nev., and the president must publicly show great concern over the shutdown but are privately loving the spectacle — watching the Republicans kill themselves politically in front of the entire world.
What Sen. Lee is doing virtually assures that Republicans will not be taken seriously in the next election. And, ironically, that assures that Obamacare will be with us forever. Sen. Lee is no doubt a very smart guy. But his actions show he is not politically skilled. Instead of leveraging the government shutdown to alter Obamacare, the plan should be to build support and respect for Republican ideas on an alternative plan — one that can get Republicans elected next election. As a lifelong Republican myself, I certainly don’t think we need any more Democrats in Washington — but it is quite clear that we do need different Republicans.
- 10 things you never knew about the FBI
- Lawrence and Windsor won't trump Utah...
- In our opinion: The long-term outlook for...
- My view: Balancing personal conviction and...
- Robert Bennett: Hamas and its financial...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Re-enactment...
- Letter: Policy disagreement
- Mary Barker: The Romney I may have voted for
- Lawrence and Windsor won't trump Utah... 108
- Mary Barker: The Romney I may have... 72
- Stuart Reid: Translations of religious... 61
- Dan Liljenquist: Religious liberty and... 50
- In our opinion: History will remember... 46
- In our opinion: The long-term outlook... 44
- Letter: Policy disagreement 44
- My view: Balancing personal conviction... 41