“It’s been great. We’ve seen it in the past. Those two guys are used to playing with each other,” Corbin said. “I’m very comfortable with them playing together also.”
Though disappointed with how Kanter’s night started, Hayward liked what he saw from Kanter once the game began (even if he was bummed about his team losing by a point after Alec Burks took a layup with time running out instead of shooting a potential game-tying 3-pointer).
“I thought he (Kanter) was really patient tonight. He’s doing a good job of reading the defense and kind of knowing when to attack, when he should pass out,” Hayward said. “I think we’re going to be able to throw the ball into him and let him operate a little bit there. He should own that block.” But Hayward was disappointed Kanter blew a chance to own the crowd after the rookie dance off. Last year, the playful 6-11 big man dropped to the court and had everyone in stitches by doing his version of the worm dance.
“I told him it was his opportunity to be the fan favorite forever if you got up and do the worm again like last year,” Hayward said, smiling. “I didn’t think he was going to be that shy. Everyone wanted him to do it. I guess he wasn’t up for the challenge.”
Fortunately for Kanter’s team, he accepted the challenge that began on the court after the dance off and tipoff.
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- Dick Harmon: John Beck very impressed with...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle Whittingham...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- BYU's worldwide fan base highlighted in...
- Brad Rock: Jazz dreaming of a Blazing future
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 103
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 75
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 64
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 45
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34
- BYU vs. No. 21 UMass live blog:... 27