“We live in perilous times,” President Packer said. “Nevertheless, we can find hope and peace for ourselves and for our families. Those living in sorrow, despairing at the possibility of a child being rescued from where the world has taken them, must never give up. ‘Be not afraid, only believe.’ Righteousness is more powerful than wickedness.”
The 89-year-old apostle promised listeners that “children taught an understanding of the scriptures early in life will come to know the path they should walk and will be more inclined to remain on that path.”
For those who wander from the path, President Packer said, “There is a way back.”
“Just as chalk can be removed from a blackboard with an eraser, with sincere repentance the effects of our transgressions can be erased through the Atonement of Jesus Christ,” he said. “That promise applies in every case.
“Peace can be settled in the heart of each who turns to the scriptures and unlocks the promises of protection and redemption that are taught therein,” President Packer concluded. “We invite all to turn to the Savior Jesus Christ, to his teachings as found in the Old Testament, the New Testament, the Book of Mormon, the Doctrine and Covenants and the Pearl of Great Price.”
Other speakers during the session included three members of the Quorums of the Seventy. Elder S. Gifford Nielsen drew from his past experience as a football player to urge his listeners to create a winning game plan for their lives. Elder Arnulfo Valenzuela promised that there are many in the world who “need our help and are there waiting for us (to) reach out to them and rescue them through small and simple means.” And Elder Timothy J. Dyches reminded listeners that “the Savior still seeks to heal and mend you. He waits at the door and knocks. Let us answer him. Let us pray, repent, forgive and forget. Let us love God and serve our neighbor, and stand in holy places with a life made clean.”
Prayers for the session were offered by Elder Paul V. Johnson of the Seventy and Sister Carol Louise McConkie of the General Young Women Presidency.
- How would LDS be affected by renewed US-Cuba...
- Little Lamb: A babe in white linen on white...
- LDS leaders quiz: What have you learned from...
- LDS young man makes lasting impression on the...
- Two LDS temples will be closing for extensive...
- Visiting minister urges unity among Christians
- Video of world's largest live Nativity...
- Ask Angela: LDS bridal showers are out of...
- Ask Angela: LDS bridal showers are out... 47
- End gun violence, say faith leaders on... 32
- Defending the Faith: A modern witness... 15
- How would LDS be affected by renewed... 13
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir concert... 10
- Chris Hicks: Has Hollywood found new... 9
- So wait? Pets don't go to heaven? 8
- Visiting minister urges unity among... 8