Dick Harmon: BYU QB Taysom Hill unveiled receiver Mitch Mathews against Utah State
During the game Hill could be seen behind the BYU bench talking to Mathews in an animated fashion. It was a discussion of a particular route against the defense.
“I trust that dude,” said Hill of Mathews. “At the end of the day, we had a few mishaps and things like that. But that happens. I know Mitch is going to give me everything he’s got. I trust that dude. We saw why tonight.”
Mathews told reporters he doesn’t mind Hill yelling at him.
“I don’t mind at all. We trust Taysom. He can yell at me and I don’t get embarrassed because I know he wants the best for me.”
And what’s best for both of them: to be able to pass and catch.
Do that, and BYU forces defenses to worry about more than Hill rocketing his way to touchdowns on the turf.
On Friday, USU limited Hill to just 14 rushing yards on nine carries, sacking him for 22 yards of losses.
But in the middle of the game, Hill hit Mathews for TDs of 30, 6 and 43 yards and 21 unanswered points.
Mathews, who was lost, was found.
Dick Harmon, Deseret News sports columnist, can be found on Twitter as Harmonwrites and can be contacted at email@example.com.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 105
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 97
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 79
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 63
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 49
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 45
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43