UVU golf: women's golf continues fall season Monday in Las Cruces
Shane Truskolaski, UVU Athletics
OREM - After nearly a three-week break from competition, the Utah Valley University women's golf team will return to action Monday at New Mexico State's Price's Give `Em Five Classic in Las Cruces, N.M.
The 54-hole/three-round tournament will take place at the NM State Golf Course and run from Monday through Wednesday. Eighteen holes of golf will be played per day with a shotgun start beginning at 8:30 each morning.
Live scoring will be available throughout the tournament by visiting Golfstat's website.
A total of 14 teams including three from the Western Athletic Conference will battle it out in the 14th annual tournament hosted by NM State. Besides the Wolverines and host Aggies, fellow WAC foe Idaho will be on hand as well as Boise State, BYU, Cal State Fullerton, Cincinnati, Nevada, North Texas, Portland State, Tulsa, UC Irvine, UTEP and Wyoming.
The NM State Golf Course will play at a par 72, 6,258 yards. The course also consists of four par-3 holes, 10 par-4's and four par-5's.
The Wolverines will enter the tournament off of a ninth-place finish at Boise State's Bronco Fall Classic on Sept. 16-17.
Junior Brooke Whittaker was UVU's top finisher for the second time on the season at Boise State as she finished in a tie for 26th with 17-over par. Sophomore Kalea Heu, who was competing as an individual at the tournament, posted UVU's next best finish at 23-over (39th overall).
Whittaker leads Utah Valley on the season with a scoring average of 77.29 after three tournaments played. Whittaker posted her first-career tournament victory in the season opener on Aug. 30 at Weber State's Wildcat Invitational by shooting a 1-under 70 at the 18-hole tournament. She also helped the Wolverines to their first team victory at the Division I level as well at the tournament as UVU bested host Weber State by two strokes.
Nagel is second on the squad in scoring average with 79.00 while redshirt freshman Kimberly Nyhus is third (79.29).
Whittaker, Nagel, Herman, Nyhus and sophomore Cassandra Lesa will play at the tournament for the Wolverines.
Following the Price's Give `Em Five Classic, the Wolverines will close their fall season on Oct. 29-31 at Hawai'i's Rainbow Wahine Invitational in Wahiawa, Hawai'i.
James Warnick is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information about Wolverine athletics, visit www.WolverineGreen.com.
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- Dick Harmon: John Beck very impressed with...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle Whittingham...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- BYU's worldwide fan base highlighted in...
- Brad Rock: Jazz dreaming of a Blazing future
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 103
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 75
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 64
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 45
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34
- BYU vs. No. 21 UMass live blog:... 27