Prep Football: Wildcats survive to remain undefeated in 2A North
KAMAS, Summit County — The Wildcats of South Summit welcomed the Eagles from Layton Christian Academy for a Region 2A North prep football action Friday night with first place on the line.
The Wildcats held on to the top spot with a 27-3 victory that snapped the Eagles' five-game winning streak.“We won ugly. We survived," South Summit football coach Jerry Parker said. "We had seven on the ground and lost five of them. We haven’t done that all year and very uncharacteristic and hope it is out of our system."
The Eagles opened the scoring with just under eight minutes left in the second quarter on a 22-yard Bailey Kenter field goal. It would be the Eagles' only points of the nigh, however.
The Wildcats found their ground game and scored two rushing touchdowns — one by junior running back Colby Averett and the other by senior Carson Freestone. Avertte ended the evening with 190 yards on 10 carries and two touchdowns.
The mistake-marred half ended with the Wildcats leading 14-3. The Wildcats lost five fumbles in the half, while the Eagles fumbled once and were intercepted once.
The Eagles started the second half throwing the football and were successful until the Wildcat defense stiffened. The Eagles threw two more interceptions in the scond half, crippling their offensive effort.
The Wildcats scored twice in the second half on a 5-yard run by Averett and a 33-yard run by quarterback Ty Jones.
The bright spot for the Eagles was their defensive play. The Eagles forced seven fumbles, recovered five, two by Kenter.
“They have a lot of talent over there and they’re young. They are going to progress fast," Parker said of Layton Christian.
With the win, the Wildcats improve to perfect 7-0 on the season, while the Eagles fall to 5-2.
The Wildcats host North Summit, while the Eagles host Millard next Friday.
Gary Czenkus is an Air Force veteran. EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
- High school football previews schedule for...
- High school football: North Summit Braves...
- High school football: Woods Cross Wildcats...
- High school football: Mountain Crest Mustangs...
- High school football: Stansbury Stallions...
- The Kafentzis void: Can Jordan High keep up...
- Prep football: 4 Beehive State juniors named...
- High school football: Layton Lancers 2016...
- High school football previews schedule... 4
- The Kafentzis void: Can Jordan High... 1
- High school football: North Summit... 0
- High school football: Woods Cross... 0
- High school football: Mountain Crest... 0
- High school football: Stansbury... 0
- Prep football: 4 Beehive State juniors... 0
- High school football: Layton Lancers... 0