Wasatch bounces back in Region 8 with victory over Maple Mountain
Later in the third period, after Southam missed a 37-yarder left, Maple Mountain’s kicker answered with a long 42-yard field goal of his own to cut the lead to 10-6 where it stood at the end of the third quarter.
That would change with just eight minutes remaining as Davis hit tight end Kayden Conner in the left corner of the end zone for a 17-yard score. The touchdown was a much-needed shot of adrenaline for the Wasps.
Maple Mountain would not go easily, however. Quarterback Jake Dixon, who had been hasseled all night by defensive end Brendan Edler and the rest of the Wasatch defensive front, hit receiver Dalton Cottam for a 50-yard touchdown pass to bring the score to 17-12. A Golden Eagles attempt at a two-point conversion to make the game a one-score affair failed.
With four minutes left in the game and facing third down just inside their own territory, Davis broke loose on a 30-yard run giving the Wasps first and 10 at the 22. After two runs by Pella, Davis hit big brother Anderson Davis for the four-yard touchdown pass that would make the score 24-12 after Southam’s extra point.
Maple Mountain added a touchdown and extra-point with seconds remaining to finish off the scoring.
With the win, Wasatch improves to 2-2 in Region 8, while Maple Mountain falls to 0-3. The Wasps can greatly improve their postseason position with a win at Spanish Fork Wednesday where the final seed could be on the line.
High School Football: Wasatch bounces back in Region 8 with victory over Maple Mountain
Wasatch quarterback Garrett Davis hits big brother Anderson Davis with a three-yard touchdown pass in the final minutes of the Wasp's win over Maple Mountain.
Kenny Bristow is the staff sports writer for the Wasatch Wave and contributes to the Deseret News high school coverage for the Wasatch region. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. To contribute to DNews Preps for your area, enquire at 801.237.2143.
- Ranking the 38 Utah ties selected in the NFL...
- High school baseball: Pleasant Grove holds on...
- Dick Harmon: Why NCAA's wise decision on...
- High school baseball: Herriman rallies past...
- Mountain West Elite camp leads the football...
- High school track: Top performances from 2016
- High school soccer: 3A/2A state tournament...
- MountainStar Healthcare Star Athletes of Week 37
- Dick Harmon: Why NCAA's wise decision... 4
- Ranking the 38 Utah ties selected in... 3
- High school baseball: Herriman rallies... 1
- MountainStar Healthcare Star Athletes... 1
- High school baseball: Pleasant Grove... 0
- Mountain West Elite camp leads the... 0
- High school track: Top performances... 0
- High school soccer: 3A/2A state... 0