Tom Smart, Deseret News
Membership in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has surpassed 15 million.
President Thomas S. Monson, president of the LDS Church, made the announcement in the Saturday morning session of the 183rd semiannual general conference.
"I am happy to announce that two weeks ago the membership of the church reached 15 million," President Monson said. "The Church continues to grow steadily and to change the lives of more and more people every year. It is spreading across the earth as our missionary force seeks out those who are searching for the truth."
President Monson also announced that since lowering the age of missionary service one year ago, the number of full-time missionaries has increased from 58,500 to more than 80,300 today.
"What a tremendous and inspiring response we have witnessed," President Monson said.
Email: email@example.com Twitter: tbtoone
- LDS missionaries developing strategies to...
- Mormon missionaries shine shoes, teach the...
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional tradition
- Christmas lights on Temple Square in pictures...
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Mark Twain and Winston...
- Mormon-raised Paul Walker remembered for...
- LDS growth in India draws media attention
- Nelson Mandela's faith made him a worldwide...
- LDS missionaries developing strategies... 63
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional... 26
- Defending the Faith: 'Pleased as man... 22
- What's new: 'Women and the Priesthood'... 21
- Mormon missionaries shine shoes, teach... 21
- Space and religion: How believers view... 13
- Tips for LDS bloggers from the... 8
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Mark Twain and... 8