Tom Smart, Deseret News
Membership in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has surpassed 15 million.
President Thomas S. Monson, president of the LDS Church, made the announcement in the Saturday morning session of the 183rd semiannual general conference.
"I am happy to announce that two weeks ago the membership of the church reached 15 million," President Monson said. "The Church continues to grow steadily and to change the lives of more and more people every year. It is spreading across the earth as our missionary force seeks out those who are searching for the truth."
President Monson also announced that since lowering the age of missionary service one year ago, the number of full-time missionaries has increased from 58,500 to more than 80,300 today.
"What a tremendous and inspiring response we have witnessed," President Monson said.
Email: email@example.com Twitter: tbtoone
- How to get 'Meet the Mormons' in theaters...
- Young performing LDS missionary shares...
- Ask Angela: Fiancee struggles with newly...
- Mormon neighbors help Catholic nuns with...
- 10 religious leaders you may not know about
- Famous Mormons featured in new BYU commercial
- A conversation with Mormon convert and 7-time...
- Two apostles visit Northern South America,...
- Ask Angela: Fiancee struggles with... 43
- Americans link violence with Muslims,... 14
- A conversation with Mormon convert and... 9
- New Utah rabbi hopes to 'perfect the... 6
- 6 science-fiction and fantasy movies... 5
- 5 unusual places of worship 5
- New Harmony: Ogling the penmanship of... 5
- How to get 'Meet the Mormons' in... 4