Tom Smart, Deseret News
Membership in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has surpassed 15 million.
President Thomas S. Monson, president of the LDS Church, made the announcement in the Saturday morning session of the 183rd semiannual general conference.
"I am happy to announce that two weeks ago the membership of the church reached 15 million," President Monson said. "The Church continues to grow steadily and to change the lives of more and more people every year. It is spreading across the earth as our missionary force seeks out those who are searching for the truth."
President Monson also announced that since lowering the age of missionary service one year ago, the number of full-time missionaries has increased from 58,500 to more than 80,300 today.
"What a tremendous and inspiring response we have witnessed," President Monson said.
Email: email@example.com Twitter: tbtoone
- 'Because of Him': LDS video on Christ...
- Miracles found at new temple in Florida
- First Presidency Easter Message
- The story behind the missionary reality TV...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir celebrates Easter...
- Watch: Mormon Tabernacle Choir performs...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir to carry on tradition...
- The Book of Mormon claims No. 1 spot on list...
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration 106
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion 88
- Obama: Religious intolerance has... 78
- Zeroing in on religious hubs, atheists... 76
- Ask Angela: With so few choices, should... 75
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite... 74
- The Book of Mormon claims No. 1 spot on... 51
- How much did President Obama donate to... 46