Tom Smart, Deseret News
Membership in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has surpassed 15 million.
President Thomas S. Monson, president of the LDS Church, made the announcement in the Saturday morning session of the 183rd semiannual general conference.
"I am happy to announce that two weeks ago the membership of the church reached 15 million," President Monson said. "The Church continues to grow steadily and to change the lives of more and more people every year. It is spreading across the earth as our missionary force seeks out those who are searching for the truth."
President Monson also announced that since lowering the age of missionary service one year ago, the number of full-time missionaries has increased from 58,500 to more than 80,300 today.
"What a tremendous and inspiring response we have witnessed," President Monson said.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: tbtoone
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- President Uchtdorf visits Provo City Center...
- Well-prepared Scouts rescue couple off Mount...
- Elder David E. Sorensen, former executive...
- ValueSpeak: A tip of the hat to innocence
- UVU men's soccer makes its program debut with...
- LDS temple rises in Philadelphia
- Watch: Mormon missionaries save baby ducks
- Ask Angela: I'm not getting married in... 91
- LDS Church releases video about... 45
- Defending the Faith: Paul and his list... 28
- LDS stake presidency participates in... 19
- BYU coach, players answer questions at... 17
- Is James Foley a martyr? A brutal death... 9
- Want to keep your faith in college?... 7
- 'True compassion': Members of the LDS... 6