“I’m going to come in the gym and give it all I’ve got every night,” he said. “I feel like it’s big. I think that helps. Your teammates are watching and they feed off that energy.”
Speaking of feeding, Evans said he’s trying “anything I can do to add weight.” He eats in the players lounge after practice. He takes a plate home. He then enjoys whatever his wife cooks for him. He eats a ton, too — “I love it” — but bulking up is not something his body does.
Corbin jokingly pointed to Evans and the big men doing push-ups before practice at Malone’s command during a morning interview.
“We’re trying to get him bigger,” he said.
If he can become consistent on his jumpers, Evans, a career 64.7 percent shooter, should be able to contribute more often than years past even if his weight remains relatively low.
And he’s grateful for that long-awaited opportunity and confidence instilled in him by Corbin.
“I still don’t want to let him down,” Evans said. “I want to come out and still play hard, still push my teammates and have fun.”
CAMP NOTES: The Jazz will hold their annual end-of-camp intrasquad scrimmage this afternoon at EnergySolutions Arena. Doors open at 3:15 p.m. for the 4 p.m. game, which is free to the public. Friday marked the final day of two-a-day workouts for the Jazz, who've had seven practices since camp began Tuesday. ... Corbin still isn’t given many hints on the starting lineup: "It’s more than just the best five guys to start the game. It’s thinking about combinations.” But will rookie point guard Trey Burke be the starter? “We’ll see.” Corbin said. “He’s working his butt off to be a starter, though. I must say that.”
- BYU basketball: 3 players record...
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged to Miss...
- Local NFL watch: How Utah players fared in...
- LDS general authorities make appearance at...
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up just...
- Utah Jazz: A few slices of holiday spirit...
- High school basketball: Tuesday's prep roundup
- Utah Jazz: Comparisons inevitable between...
- Mike Sorensen: Despite disappointing... 184
- BYU football: Cougar offense rebounds... 84
- Utah football: Utes end season with... 76
- BYU, Utah State basketball: Second-half... 74
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 74
- College football re-rankings: Where do... 57
- Unbeaten Utes hit the road for the... 55
- Sources: Former BYU quarterback Steve... 48