Baby critical, 2 in serious condition after SUV ends up in creek
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
MILLCREEK — A baby was in critical condition and two other people were in serious condition Friday evening after police say a white SUV caused multiple crashes and ended up in Big Cottonwood Creek.
Police said the crash was caused by a medical condition.
At about 4:20 p.m., a 72-year-old man was driving south on State Street in a white Toyota RAV4 when he hit a red SUV near 4200 South "at a fairly high rate of speed," Unified police detective Ken Hansen said.
The red SUV spun, hitting a Chevy Impala traveling near the SUV, as well as a parked Nissan, Hansen said. The Toyota RAV4 continued traveling south.
A man, woman and 2-month-old child were in the red SUV. The child and man were both taken to local hospitals in serious condition, Hansen said. Later, police said the 2-month-old was in critical condition.
The white SUV continued on until it eventually went through a barrier and landed in Big Cottonwood Creek in about 2 feet of water, he said.
"Because of the circumstance of him being in the water, (crews) had to rescue him, extricate him from that vehicle," Hansen said.
The driver of white SUV was also taken to a local hospital in serious condition.
— Emilee Eagar
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns Utahns of...
- Man stole ring, woman swallowed it, police say
- Bluffdale homeowner becomes victim of...
- About Utah: A Salt Lake hit for 152 years ......
- Doug Robinson: The Birdman of Utah
- Duchesne County man pleads guilty to federal...
- World-renowned rock art in Utah is younger...
- Part police cruiser, part taxi,...
- Becky Lockhart serious about... 31
- Gay rights activists to fight charges... 22
- Police reviewing possible nightclub... 16
- Solar energy users claim victory as... 14
- Gov.: Elected officials need to serve... 10
- U. tailgating carries tradition of... 10
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns... 10
- Missionary, police testify against man... 8