Baby critical, 2 in serious condition after SUV ends up in creek
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
MILLCREEK — A baby was in critical condition and two other people were in serious condition Friday evening after police say a white SUV caused multiple crashes and ended up in Big Cottonwood Creek.
Police said the crash was caused by a medical condition.
At about 4:20 p.m., a 72-year-old man was driving south on State Street in a white Toyota RAV4 when he hit a red SUV near 4200 South "at a fairly high rate of speed," Unified police detective Ken Hansen said.
The red SUV spun, hitting a Chevy Impala traveling near the SUV, as well as a parked Nissan, Hansen said. The Toyota RAV4 continued traveling south.
A man, woman and 2-month-old child were in the red SUV. The child and man were both taken to local hospitals in serious condition, Hansen said. Later, police said the 2-month-old was in critical condition.
The white SUV continued on until it eventually went through a barrier and landed in Big Cottonwood Creek in about 2 feet of water, he said.
"Because of the circumstance of him being in the water, (crews) had to rescue him, extricate him from that vehicle," Hansen said.
The driver of white SUV was also taken to a local hospital in serious condition.
— Emilee Eagar
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed in...
- Embattled doctor surrenders Utah medical license
- Union Pacific train makes special delivery...
- Dancing stars Julianne and Derek Hough visit...
- California man drove to Vernal for sex with...
- Supreme Court issues stay in Utah gay...
- A photographic look at how Days of '47 floats...
- Utah kids have lower death rate, but more...
- Supreme Court issues stay in Utah gay... 78
- Supporters rally around breast-feeding... 73
- Gov. says Utah will comply with law if... 59
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in... 19
- South Jordan councilman wants school... 17
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- Anti-porn rally aims at keeping... 14
- Ex A.G.s John Swallow, Mark Shurtleff... 14