Baby critical, 2 in serious condition after SUV ends up in creek
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
MILLCREEK — A baby was in critical condition and two other people were in serious condition Friday evening after police say a white SUV caused multiple crashes and ended up in Big Cottonwood Creek.
Police said the crash was caused by a medical condition.
At about 4:20 p.m., a 72-year-old man was driving south on State Street in a white Toyota RAV4 when he hit a red SUV near 4200 South "at a fairly high rate of speed," Unified police detective Ken Hansen said.
The red SUV spun, hitting a Chevy Impala traveling near the SUV, as well as a parked Nissan, Hansen said. The Toyota RAV4 continued traveling south.
A man, woman and 2-month-old child were in the red SUV. The child and man were both taken to local hospitals in serious condition, Hansen said. Later, police said the 2-month-old was in critical condition.
The white SUV continued on until it eventually went through a barrier and landed in Big Cottonwood Creek in about 2 feet of water, he said.
"Because of the circumstance of him being in the water, (crews) had to rescue him, extricate him from that vehicle," Hansen said.
The driver of white SUV was also taken to a local hospital in serious condition.
— Emilee Eagar
- LDS Church, LGBT advocates back...
- Weighing in: The top 20 metro areas with the...
- Mitt Romney calls Utah GOP move to a caucus a...
- Utah girl dances solo 9 months after losing...
- Monarchs announce new stadium proposal in...
- Mentor to Brandon Mull, James Dashner chose...
- Water main break, sinkhole could delay...
- Utah Senate narrowly endorses medical...
- LDS Church, LGBT advocates back... 52
- About Utah: Replace the prison with the... 42
- Mitt Romney calls Utah GOP move to a... 38
- Utah assails Obama's Clean Power Plan 28
- House leaders counter Healthy Utah,... 28
- Prison Relocation Commission ready to... 26
- House will hear Healthy Utah alongside... 22
- Obama plans trip to South Carolina,... 15