Baby critical, 2 in serious condition after SUV ends up in creek
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
MILLCREEK — A baby was in critical condition and two other people were in serious condition Friday evening after police say a white SUV caused multiple crashes and ended up in Big Cottonwood Creek.
Police said the crash was caused by a medical condition.
At about 4:20 p.m., a 72-year-old man was driving south on State Street in a white Toyota RAV4 when he hit a red SUV near 4200 South "at a fairly high rate of speed," Unified police detective Ken Hansen said.
The red SUV spun, hitting a Chevy Impala traveling near the SUV, as well as a parked Nissan, Hansen said. The Toyota RAV4 continued traveling south.
A man, woman and 2-month-old child were in the red SUV. The child and man were both taken to local hospitals in serious condition, Hansen said. Later, police said the 2-month-old was in critical condition.
The white SUV continued on until it eventually went through a barrier and landed in Big Cottonwood Creek in about 2 feet of water, he said.
"Because of the circumstance of him being in the water, (crews) had to rescue him, extricate him from that vehicle," Hansen said.
The driver of white SUV was also taken to a local hospital in serious condition.
— Emilee Eagar
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Researchers: Patients have only themselves to...
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge for...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to same-sex...
- We were there: See Deseret News front pages...
- Love not attending Salt Lake City Rotary Club...
- Vernal oilfield company seeks help finding...
- Rock climber falls to his death at Zion...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 69
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 55
- Educators at UEA convention told to... 41
- Federal government extends same-sex... 35
- Autopsy shows man posed no threat to... 23
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 17
- Police arrest 3 suspected of... 15
- Risque video shoots trigger... 14