Riverton mom charged with leaving toddler in car while shopping
WEST JORDAN — A Riverton woman accused of leaving her toddler in the car while she went shopping now faces a felony charge.
Paige Gottwald, 36, was charged Friday in 3rd District Court with abuse or neglect of a disabled child, a third-degree felony.
On Sept. 19, West Jordan police were called to Wal-Mart, 7671 S. Campus View Drive (3800 West), where officers found a nearly 2-year-old boy had been left alone in a vehicle for at least 30 minutes, according to charging documents.
When detectives found the baby's mother, she said "she left him alone in the vehicle while she was shopping and that she always left him in the car when she shopped," the charges state.
Gottwald allegedly told police she had left the air conditioning on and did not believe she had done anything wrong.
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 44
- Mitt Romney says family still wants him... 43
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 38
- Hal Boyd: Hal Boyd: Why Mitt Romney's... 35
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 32
- Old West showdown? Freeway cattle drive... 30
- History-making transgender U.S. Senate... 29
- Report: States manage public lands for... 23