Riverton mom charged with leaving toddler in car while shopping
WEST JORDAN — A Riverton woman accused of leaving her toddler in the car while she went shopping now faces a felony charge.
Paige Gottwald, 36, was charged Friday in 3rd District Court with abuse or neglect of a disabled child, a third-degree felony.
On Sept. 19, West Jordan police were called to Wal-Mart, 7671 S. Campus View Drive (3800 West), where officers found a nearly 2-year-old boy had been left alone in a vehicle for at least 30 minutes, according to charging documents.
When detectives found the baby's mother, she said "she left him alone in the vehicle while she was shopping and that she always left him in the car when she shopped," the charges state.
Gottwald allegedly told police she had left the air conditioning on and did not believe she had done anything wrong.
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Ballet West artists prepare original works...
- South Carolina woman dies on Sundance zip line
- Police: Man shot, injured by officer in Ogden
- Firefighter, 3 others injured in apartment blaze
- Holladay man killed, son injured in shooting...
- Teen in critical condition after friend...
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 29
- Teacher on leave after telling students... 28
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue... 19
- National conservative group backs... 18
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 17
- Are you willing to pay a fee to use... 17
- Group targets Utah's public lands fight... 12
- A family's faith and a mother's legacy... 11