Riverton mom charged with leaving toddler in car while shopping
WEST JORDAN — A Riverton woman accused of leaving her toddler in the car while she went shopping now faces a felony charge.
Paige Gottwald, 36, was charged Friday in 3rd District Court with abuse or neglect of a disabled child, a third-degree felony.
On Sept. 19, West Jordan police were called to Wal-Mart, 7671 S. Campus View Drive (3800 West), where officers found a nearly 2-year-old boy had been left alone in a vehicle for at least 30 minutes, according to charging documents.
When detectives found the baby's mother, she said "she left him alone in the vehicle while she was shopping and that she always left him in the car when she shopped," the charges state.
Gottwald allegedly told police she had left the air conditioning on and did not believe she had done anything wrong.
- Salt Lake officer captured Dillon Taylor...
- North Ogden woman sent to prison in...
- Lunch manager on leave after diabetic student...
- Fallen hiker had passion for the outdoors,...
- Tips lead police to arrest of public enemy No. 1
- Utah claims top ACT scores for second year
- Provo company creates program that filters...
- West Jordan, Murray residents search for...
- Poll: Utahns willing to fight for... 56
- Vernal man claims police arrested him... 37
- Utah argues for more time to file... 33
- Utah claims top ACT scores for second year 27
- State asks for more time to file appeal... 24
- End of an era: Huntsville bookshop... 22
- Poll: Majority of Utahns in favor of... 22
- Jay Evensen: Is Provo really an... 22